Dane and Emery: A Truth Universally Acknowledged

Emery loves her mom. Loves her to the moon and back but dear God, the woman cannot keep a secret. Like....at all. A few days ago she let slip that Dane had been asking about her ring size. Then last night she'd 'advised' Emery to dress nice if Dane was going to take her anywhere special in the upcoming weeks. And wouldn't you just know it? They just so happen to have plans tonight. Apart from knowing they're going to a restaurant, Emery's got no idea which one or how Dane's going to pop the question. Obviously, her answer's going to be yes but she does hope it's not going to be in the middle of the place where everyone can see. Being the center of attention is just the worst for her. She could barely survive being a bridesmaid, Lord knows how she's going to make it down an aisle with everyone staring at her and not throwing up!

Putting the last stud earing in, she gives her normally quite flat hair another fluff and practices her surprised face.
Oh Dane...I had no idea.
No too corny.
Baby...
No.
Oh my God!
Definitely not.

Okay fine, she'll just make up what she's going to say at the moment. Though definitely no doing the beauty pageant fake crying hands. Yeah, he'd see right through that.

"Ready Honey Bee?" he asks walking into the bedroom.

Unlike some of her friend's boyfriend's, hers is pretty good at giving her time to get ready without complaining. Of course it helps that she's the one out of the two of them that tends to get a tad bit testy if it even appears like they're going to be late for something.

"Uh huh, just need to grab my coat," she nods heading out towards him to the hallway. Before she can reach it, he has her item of clothing and helps her into it. It's clear being the youngest by a little way, his parents lavished attention onto him or rather he absorbed in everything because his manners are certainly impeccable like his father's. Forever the gentleman, he would always open doors for her, ask if she was comfortable in many social situations and if they were at a party never let her cup be empty. Of course, he wasn't exactly polite when it came to playing but isn't that what any woman wants? A man who treats you like a princess outside the bedroom then fúcks you like a whóre inside it? A gentleman and a savage. Perfect. Now all she needs is the declaration to the world that he's completely, irrevocably hers.

They'd driven almost an hour to get to the restaurant but God had it been worth it! The moment the perfect medium rare cut of steak hit her mouth, Emery had known it was completely worth it. It certainly made her feel like an actual proper grown up and it would probably be the fanciest place she'll ever go to which is why she's concentrating on savoring it and totally not trying to predict when Dane will pop the question. They still had about 3 more plates to go since this is the kind of place that does 7 course tasting menu meals and while Emery had insisted they not, Dane had, so she'd reluctantly agreed. Thankfully portion sizes meant that she could probably survive all 7.

"Baby, I just want to say well done for the new job."

Emery gives him a slightly confused smile. It'd been over a 2 weeks now since she started her work with the local broadcasting, working on staff as an editor. The book publishing company she'd been at before had been hemorrhaging money and as a result she'd recently learnt was undergoing major redundancies and structural changes. Thank God, she'd jumped ship when she could. Plus, the work environment hadn't been all that great. Treating her like some glorified intern when she was more qualified than some of the more 'senior' staff.