Chapter 2: The House

Jareth stared down at the two sniveling humans before him with deep disgust

It was disappointing to see just how similar Junior was to his father. Though he supposed he had to give Senior some credit, at least he hadn't pissed himself at the mere sight of him all those years ago.

Robert Junior sat in his own warm filth at the moment, shaking like a leaf as he clutched the broken phone he just used to call his daughter. His wife fared no better, The mascara running down her heavily painted face made her look especially hideous to him. She was quieter than her husband but was too scared to look him in the eye properly for Jareth to really be interested in her.

Though she did keep an eye on the little bundle in his arms with a sort of fearful intensity only a mother could have.

He had come to them only a few minutes before with a mere knock on the door. They had been annoyed at first, even mocking his appearance until he dropped his little facade and called forth his court to besiege the house. It was quite unlike any other time he had encountered humans. For starters, they hadn't said the Right Words, let alone actually read from his book. This was all his decision, his whims. They were truly at his mercy...

It was funny though in hindsight. Humans often thought he could only enter the human world through the book. But he was a king after all, he could go anywhere he so desired.

The Right Words were the only thing that could force his appearance though. It was similar to picking a ripe peach off of a branch rather than waiting for it to fall to the earth. Perhaps that's why some humans mistook him for a demon, since they too could also be conjured.

It can be rather insulting to be compared to those oily little things the humans made up...

He didn't mind it though, those little games were always oh so fun. The humans faces upon seeing him were absolutely priceless...

Still, he wished that they'd at least look him in the eye...

Such thoughts led him back to his 'first' time meeting Sarah just hours before. She hadn't balked at the sight of him despite her belief he was a stranger. She had instead looked him right in the eye as they chatted. He could tell she was nervous, but scared? No, not even when she was young did he ever remember her fearing anything.

The way she performed that night completely floored him. She had been a marvel to behold, she was so 'Alive'. So full of magic and life it was she was one of his own kind, But better. Her humanity complemented her wildness well. Then there had been her eyes...

"W-what do you want with us?" Roberts' wife whimpered, flinching at the sound of countless children laughing unseen at her words. His little army waited eagerly for his next command, some even drooling as the prospect of a fresh meal.

But he wasn't so rude as to let them eat these humans so soon into the game.

They'll have their share of suffering soon enough...