Chapter 15: A Goodbye and a Hello

They did not go back through the front gates like Sarah had initially thought they would

Hoggle stopped them before they got too close to the walls. Walking a bit ahead of her and putting his hand up in a halting motion.

"Wait a minute." He said, looking around cautiously. "It may not be a good idea to go in the usual way, he may be expecting it and be waiting for us."

"... Alright." Sarah agreed, looking at the vines weaving along the once bare yellow brick. "Should we use the chalk then? Where should we go with it?"

"Hmm... That may be for the best." he muttered, hands patting his pockets. "I'll have to use my piece for now. Even if yours is more effective, you don't know your way around this place just yet."

Sarah could practically see the gears turning in his head, likely thinking of the best way to avoid any sort of conflict.

Wish he would just spit it out already, he's not impressing anyone by being all mysterious...

Eventually, he pulled out his own piece of chalk. The powder flaking off on his hands and smudging a bit on his vest in his awkwardness.

"We should go to the underground again, I know a shortcut back into the maze from there."

"The underground? Wouldn't Mairia know if we suddenly showed up again?"

Hoggle frowned, face wrinkling further.

"Yes, but... if I get the spot just right, The chalk should put us right next to the shortcut, we shouldn't have to be in there long if it works out."

"And if it doesn't?"

"..."

"We'll just have to hope she's in a good mood." Bee piped in, picking up where Hoggle left off. "Sure, you ruined her favorite throne room and transformed a member of her court into shrubbery. But hey! At least she seems to have a soft spot for you! I'm sure you'll be fine!"

Somehow that didn't reassure her. But Sarah had to work with what she was given. Besides, it didn't hurt to be at least a little optimistic sometimes, right?

... Yeah right, I'd sooner expect Jareth to turn green and start singing about rainbows...

Try as she might, Sarah simply couldn't think of a better option to get back in. She didn't want to use the front gates and end up somewhere worse than where she went through the first time. As nice as the worm had been, she really wasn't in the mood to bargain for her things and didn't want to potentially freeze or lose an arm to that weird cocoon creature... Hoggle's idea really seemed like the best choice to make despite the risk. That, and Sarah wanted to get through this place as quickly as possible. She didn't want to do any sightseeing anytime soon.

Still, it's not a good idea to rush through places either... Shouldn't I still try to get my mom back from her?

No... Even if I did, the way things are right now I wouldn't be able to protect her if she were to travel with us... Best to just come back once I get a better grip on the situation, At least find somewhere where she can be safe while I find Dad and Toby. While the situation with Mairia isn't exactly... good, her immediate safety isn't at risk with her as far as I know.