Chapter 4: Worm Hole

Sarah knew from the heaviness of her eyes that it had been well over a day since she had entered the Labyrinth

It just seemed to go on and on for miles. She had stopped numerous times for water breaks but even then her exhaustion and sore muscles were catching up to her. The ever unchanging light of the day didn't help either. It was messing her brain up, her overall tiredness contradicting itself with the light of midday in such a way it gave her a feeling of nauseous vertigo. But still, she pressed on.

She was scared of falling asleep in this place.

I knew I should have had a power nap at the house. Goddamnit... I was too impatient to continue...

Yawning, she sleepily rubbed her eyes before continuing her trek. She had done everything she could think of to find a different way deeper into the maze; she ran until her legs turned to jelly, tried finding a secret passageway by pushing on the bricks around her. Once, she even tried yelling for help, hoping that maybe Hoggle or someone else would hear and come to her aid. Hell, she even tried climbing up the dead vines, but the things practically disintegrated at her touch.

She definitely didn't want to do that last idea again considering some plants in this place had actual freaking 'eyeballs' that watched her walk past...

Did I murder it accidentally? The vines didn't have eyes, but... Best not to think about that too much.

At some point, she wondered if she was going in circles considering she hadn't reached a dead end yet, but she could tell by the tips of the mountains she could make out above her that that wasn't the case. They hadn't moved.

Which meant neither had she.

Maybe it's like the weird magic trick that kept me from climbing the mountain? If so, then I'm still at the gates? But that's not possible, the walls around me are changing the further I go...

She groaned, both in exhaustion and irritation. She felt like she was getting nowhere in this place. It made sense though, considering everything seemed designed to work against her.

Which, considering where she was, that was likely the case.

She knew she had to rest soon though despite her fears about doing so. She couldn't just keep going for who knew how long with no end in sight. She had to do her best to preserve her energy, not to mention she was still a bit groggy from the fairy venom...

"Fuck it."

Throwing caution to the wind, she picked a random wall and, using her bulky bag as a pillow, she curled up and let herself drift into a fitful, exhausted sleep...

Unaware of the evergreen moss that started to grow on the walls around her.

...................................................................