Chapter 11: A Banquet of Wills

If there was a God he would be spitting in her face right now

Sarah spent a good while staring at the empty space where her food should be, silently falling apart and trying to glue the pieces left back together. She felt defeated and helpless, like the overworked camel before the straw snapped its proverbial spine. She forced herself to laugh so she wouldn't burst into tears. The sound of it broken and pathetic sounding.

What am I supposed to do now? If what that Worm said is the truth, then... I haven't eaten in three days. I barely ate anything before that so... I'm not okay.

Worse than okay, she was dying.

She heard that starving to death is technically the least painful way to go out. She didn't feel any pain at the moment, but she was definitely skinnier than she had been before coming here. Sarah wasn't exactly unfit, but she could tell there was a noticeable tightness in her stomach now... She felt weaker and her throat was dry. She only had about two thirds of a water bottle left, which she guzzled down like she was left in the desert. Sarah knew she shouldn't have, but three days without food and water was messing with her ability to hold herself back.

Losing rationality and proper restraint was another sign she was starving.

This is... really bad.

First Hoggle abandons me, then my shoes and my food are stolen... Why is everything in my life shit?

The banquet was going to kill her. She knew it would be a real test of the last shred of her lingering resolve. But... she wasn't weak, she could tough it out, right? Maybe once it was done she could ask for her stuff back? But she didn't feel too hopeful about it considering this lady was also the Queen of fairies... remembering her last run in with the little pests, it was unlikely she was the sort to just waste food... Sarah had to anticipate the worst so she wouldn't be disappointed later.

Something told her her rations didn't exist anymore.

She had two options now it seemed; not eat and die, or eat and truly be stuck here forever.

Eating wasn't exactly against the 'rules' set out for her. But eating meant she would actually be trapped here for good... 'sealing the deal' so to speak. (Granted, she was already told her freedom wasn't an option... but a girl could dream couldn't she?) A part of her was still convinced she could find some sort of loophole or something she could use to go back to the human world. She just had to hold out till then, till she found her family...

In short, if she ate, she would lose the last shred of hope she had to return to the life she had worked so hard for.

This banquet will truly be a battle in more ways than one.

She looked over to the boxes of clothing the worm brought in for her. Eyes narrowed in suspicion as she opened them up as if expecting to find a bomb about to go off. The clothes were wrapped in red tissue paper (There seemed to be a running theme with the red). Pulling them out, Sarah was surprised and mildly relieved to see shoes already waiting in there for her. They were black and buckled with a slight heel, resembling pilgrim shoes in a way save for a small black bow over the buckle. She opened the other, slightly larger box.