Chapter 19: For One Who So Distains The Word

Hoggle knew the Prince was after him

Word traveled fast in the Underground, the news that he had stepped foot in the Labyrinth again would have reached Him by now. And he would really appreciate not getting caught. At least, not till he was sure Sarah had gone back on her journey to save her family. Her path should keep her as far away from him as possible, as far from the Prince as possible. Not exactly a safe option, but a lot better than certain death.

She was still human after all. Despite the weird plant magic she somehow had, she was still mortal and could die at any moment.

It was, mainly, The reason he had chosen to part ways with Sarah hours before. It was also the reason he had Sarah make a chalk door to get back into the Labyrinth, rather than go through the front door. Jareth likely set a trap for them of course, but it was also because Hoggle was terrified that the Prince would be waiting for them on the other side of that door. He did not know what exactly Jareth had planned for Sarah if anything, but he did not want her to die. Which she surely would have if they somehow ran into that monster. He didn't lie to her, technically, he just chose to leave a few tidbits out of his reasoning. She didn't have to know about his personal problems, Sarah had enough to deal with anyway.

It was him it was after, he did not want his only friend to die because of him for something so stupid.

That's not the only reason though, is it... Hoggle?

No, It doesn't matter how I feel... What a coward like me wants, what matters is that I need to stay as far away from her as possible. It may be seen as selfish, but it's the least I could do for her as her friend.

Right?

...

What would she think? If she knew?

He shook his head fervently, nipping that train of thought in the bud as he continued on his path.

Currently, he was in the middle of making a run for it. He had gone back to his 'home', grabbing all his things and putting it in his chalk storage room for safe keeping. Putting a few other things in the little ladybug bag Sarah had given him before leaving his little hole in the wall for good. He did not have any emotional attachment to this place, though he did appreciate how it had kept him safe all this time.

He couldn't go beyond the barrier of the mountains, so opted instead to try and find a new home somewhere in Mairia's domain for now. Not the best move he'd admit, but she really didn't seem to hate him that much compared to the other rulers, and he was pretty sure her husband was even more pitiful than himself. Perhaps, if she discovered him, he could use that to his advantage.

Or at least buy myself some time till I can make a run for it.

That damn fairy almost ruined his plan. What with those snide little comments that eluded to the truth... little pests always knew more than they should when it came to secrets.