Chapter 5: Silk and Guilt

As it turns out, the Worms 'House' wasn't even really one to begin with

Sarah let herself be led down further into the new labyrinth passages by her strange new companion. Wary and expecting foul play at every turn past the stony corners, every passing of yellowed brick and the cracking cement holding it all together like gums and teeth. But the further along they went the less she worried about some sort of ambush. The worm merely smiled down at her the same as it always had. She still did not feel threatened, so she relaxed as much as anyone could in this sort of situation.

Which wasn't by much.

Eventually, the path they had been taking, though senseless and without destination as far as Sarah could tell, seemed to slope slightly downhill.

Brick became spliced with a fine white thread, like silk and twice as beautiful. At first, it started with a few threads, strayed and loosely hanging periodically on the brick like forgotten cobwebs. Until eventually, the further they walked, the brick was swallowed up, drowned out by the criss-cross pattern of it all. Even the open yellowed sky was engulfed by it, leaving only sparse patches in the faux roof for light to come in.

The worm, sensing her unease, grasped her hand with one of its own as it led her through the darkness. Which in of itself wasn't an oppressive blackness, more comforting, like hiding under a blanket.

Funny, it reminds me of a cocoon. Maybe she's a silkworm? It would make sense why she calls herself a worm at least despite her arms...

Still, Sarah allowed herself to be led into the tunnel, taking a mental note to ready her knife if need be. Thinking for the second time that this caterpillar creature intended to eat her.

She couldn't just run off though, not without a solid reason to. She knew things weren't always what they seemed, and intended to give the worm the benefit of the doubt.

"So..." She began, hoping to soften her nerves by striking up conversation in the strange quiet. "What's this 'Misses' like?"

"Oh she's rather lovely! If a bit gloomy at times. She makes the most wondrous tea as well." The worm cheerfully replied as it crawled alongside her. "We both love to sew, I'm sure she can help patch up your rags and wash you up before you go."

Sarah looked down at herself at the worms comment, it was true her clothes had gotten rather torn up in her travels so far. Her white sleeves and skirt had taken the worst of the fairies attack and she could feel the chilly dead air on her exposed skin. Patches of dirt and dust splotched the fabric and her boots were caked in sandy dirt. Her hands, especially the bitten one, were grimy and scratched. She could only imagine what her face looked like. While it hadn't been through the blender like the rest of her, the sweat and grime likely made her look like shit.

"Really though, thank you. You might just have saved my life." Sarah stated, turning to look at her companion and smiled gratefully. The worm, if it could even be called that, preened at her words before seeming to notice something ahead.