Chapter 6: Threats of Affection

Mairia knew she was spoiled

Not only did she have a loving, obedient partner, but she was the ruler of all the little winged folk within this world who would keep her well-fed with whispers and gossip. Fortune smiled on the fair-faced, and Mairia was envied by all in the Labyrinth, both Above and Underground.

The latter being where she ruled supreme. Where Jareth would get the world above and the Bog Prince the world beyond, she held power below where the dark tunnels and cities spread out from the heart of the labyrinth like tree roots that interconnected and twisted impossibly in the soil and rock to make their own sort of maze. One that she had sole control over while her partner dealt with the duties of the Underkingdom.

Her husband was loving and obedient, her kingdom was small but prosperous, and she was allowed to have as many lovers as she so wished.

I really should give Jareth a thank you gift for giving me such a lovely new plaything.

Perhaps I should clean his throne room a bit, the place is quite trashed. But he always gets mad when I touch his things...

Where the Goblin King hoarded and piled up his treasures in his throne room without rhyme or reason, Maira had a more tasteful, refined approach.

Her courtroom consisted of polished red marble walls and a black marble floor so reflective it gave the impression of standing on a calm lake at night. Roughly six large red columns adorned with torches illuminated and held the intricate fresco painted ceiling high above her head in Baroque fashion. Each column was engraved with a story of one of her many achievements during her rather long life. Lush red fainting couches were always occupied by the loveliest of her pets and music was always playing from somewhere.

Everything in here had a purpose, every plate of food, every beautiful pet and note of music was to make the unwary drop their guard and make a mistake. Give into their temptations and lose all control.

It would be their fault if they were lost, it's common knowledge what would happen to you if you ate the food in this world.

Bowls of fruit and high end dining were piled high on white opaline tables at either side of the large room. The hall was always bustling with conversation and laughter, fairies of varying sizes would flit to and fro with goblets of wine or food. Only the keenest of eyes would notice that none of them actually ate or drank what they held, it was all merely for show and to further get any newcomers' guards down.

Each fairy of her court paid respects to their ruler by presenting her with only the finest of gifts for her collection that they found in their travels. Gems, trinkets, humans, It didn't matter to her.

Instead of toys and children, she collected beautiful things and creatures who caught her eye.

Both the men and women of her little court wore the same crimson robes adorned with the finest gold and jewelry made by man and fae alike. Hair was preened and washed meticulously and everything down to their very nails and wings were perfected to suit her tastes. Fairies, humans, men or women, it mattered not. She kept them around for as long as they interested her.