𝟎𝟏 | 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐘

ELLE SANTOS HAD NO INTEREST IN UNIVERSITY. In fact, if she had it her way then she wouldn't even be climbing out of the taxi on campus right that second. She would be in her apartment, back in England, not at a campus in Georgia. But never the less, she climbed out the back seat and closed it with a huff, grabbing her two small suitcases from the back while the driver grabbed her bag. The brunette thanked him and paid in the money she owed him for driving her from the airport to the university.

And once the taxi had left, she knew she was stuck there. She was in a bitter mood as it was, that mood only amplified when an overly chatty girl decided to welcome her to campus. She might have been a nice girl on any other day, but with jet lag, five hours of sleep and the fact she was where she was, she only chipped away further at the girls patience. "Hi there! Welcome to Barden University. What dorm?" She said overly excited.

Elle looked at her with a flat face for a moment, taking her time to answer the question. "Um, Rouge Hall, I think." She shrugged, throwing her laptop bag over her shoulder, hooking her other bag onto one of her cases and grabbing the handle on one of them.

"Okay. So what you're going to do is you're gonna go down this way, you're gonna take a right and you go through those double doors..." She started to explain. Elle was barely listening before, but listened even less when a taxi pulled up beside her, it's windows rolled down and the music playing loudly through the stereo of the taxi. The boy inside it hung his head out the window, catching eyes with the girl. He sat up further, pretending to play air guitar while the guitar solo played. She couldn't deny that his little serenade cheered her up—slightly. "Your campus map. And your official BU rape whistle. Don't blow unless it's actually happening." The girl finally finished, handing her a leaflet and a whistle.

Elle nodded, placing the whistle in her back pocket and keeping the map on hand while she headed to her dorm begrudgingly. The campus was filled with people, not great considering the brunette wasn't in the mood for interactions, there were stands set up in all directions, new students manoeuvring through the cars and crowds. Elle grabbed a trolley and piled her cases on it before rolling it to her housing and praying they had an elevator—but of course they didn't.

She huffed and dropped her bags off on the bottom floor, taking two at a time but struggling even then. "Hey, you look like you're struggling." Someone called out behind her, watching as she tried to pull her case onto the landing.

"Yeah, no shit." The girl grumbled, throwing her head back to look at who it was. "You." She hummed when her eyes met those of the boy from the taxi earlier. "Nice guitar solo, very impressive." She said with a smirk. The boy shrugged and grinned, dropping his own bags off at the bottom of the stairs and grabbing two of the girls to help her out. "Thanks." She smiled.

The boy nodded again. "My names Jesse, by the way." He dropped in as the pair continued to push their way towards the third floor, stopping every few minuets to give both of their arms a rest.

Elle had completely forgotten to ask, she could tell the jet lag was getting to her. "Elle." She replied as the pair finally made it to the floor the girls room was on. They wheeled the cases down the hallway engaging in small talk until they reached room twenty-one. "Thank you." The girl thanked the boy sincerely.

She turned to look at him once she had placed her bags down in the hallways and realised that it was the first time she had properly looked at him. His brown hair was short and looked soft, his brown eyes mellow and warm, a blue long sleeved top that showed off what appeared to be a toned physique beneath it. "No problem." He replied breathlessly, placing her bags down beside the others. "I'll be seeing you soon, Elle." He winked and she laughed.

"How do you figure that?" She asked with a smirk.

Jesse shrugged as he headed down the hall and back to his own bags that were still at the bottom of the stairs. "I do know where you live now." He smirked.

"That's kinda creepy you know." She called and he shrugged with his back to her again. Elle took note of everyone who was in the hallways moving in. There was a number of boxes and suitcases all around the hall. Elle sighed once again, now she was out of the boys presence, she could once again wallow in her own self pity.

Never the less, she pushed open the door to her dorm and forced her way inside with the rest of her bags. She immediately came face to face with a blank half of the room. The walls were a plain white and an empty bed frame and mattress sat agaisnt the wall with a desk on one side and a wardrobe and a set of draws on the other, cupboards littered above it. She then turned to the other side that was far from plain. The bed had been made and that retained the same plain white, however vines hung from the ceiling and to the walls, posters of old bands surrounded the head of the bed, a board with a few posters and a calendar and at least a dozen plants littered the surfaces and the walls. At the desk at the end of the bed sat a girl.

Her blonde hair had been curled slightly messily and tightly, they had been collected and twisted into a clip on the back of her head, a few curly strands springing out. Her makeup was light and her light pink lips held a welcoming smile. "Hi!" She called happily, running over to the girl and giving her a comfortable hug. "I'm Madelyn Plume, your roommate." She said excitedly.

Elle smiled back at her and internally thanked the universe that she had a nice and normal seeming roommate. "I'm Elle santos." The brunette smiled, wheeling her bags over and placing them under the windowsill until she decided to unpack them all. "Sorry, i'm usually much more cheerful. I have major jet lag." She explained, teetering on a yawn at the end.

Madelyn smiled none the less. "Don't stress, i feel the same." She sympathised, dropping down on her perfectly made bed on the other half of the room.

Yet, despite Elles exhausted state, she remained awake for hours talking with her new roommate, getting to know each-other like they were old friends turned new.