𝟎𝟑 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐒

♫ 'They'll get through, they'll get you. In the place that you fear it the most. In the corner, where it's warmer. In the face that you wish was a ghost' ♫

ELLE WAS RELATIVELY EXCITED THAT SHE GOT THE INTERNSHIP AT THE RADIO SHACK. Once she dropped her CV in she had gotten a call the next day and they had asked her to come in on Mondays to help work the booth. But that wasn't quite what she got to do.

The station was full of music, which was expected, She could spot a blonde man inside the booth on the ground floor. "Ninety-five point seven, WBUJ, music for the independent mind." Played through the radios before the song switched again.

♫ 'Tell me what the matter is, little man. I've got a pretty face and I wear a nice dress. Tell me what the matter is, little man. I've got a pretty face and I wear a nice dress.' ♫

Elle was absent minded ku looking around at the infamous number of records which stacked high on the shelves and the tables. She felt bad for who ever had to put and organise them all away. She only thought in it for a moment before a voice broke her from her thoughts. "Hey." Someone called over to her and her head snapped up to meet the eyes of the blonde man who had been in the booth when she first walked in.

She had jumped slightly and so he had released a small chuckle. "Hi." She replied, walking away from the records and towards where he was hovering in the doorway of the booth.

He raised a bushy eyebrow at the girl and looked at her curiously. "Have you been standing there long?" He asked with a smirk and she quickly shook her head.

"No. No, I only just got here." She explained and he nodded hesitantly, giving her a disbelieving look before retreating back inside the small room. Elle went to follow him but he was quick to stop her in her tracks.

"Freshmen aren't allowed in the booth." He said before she could even put a foot through the threshold.

"Sorry." She grumbled, taking a step away from the doorway again.

"I'm Luke, station manager. You must be Isabelle the intern?" He noted and she nodded. Luke was a tall and broad shouldered man. The brunette couldn't quite placed whether he was only a few years older than her or much older then her or had a young face. He was attractive and didn't look like the usual kind of guy who would spend all his days in a radio cupboard.

"Yeah, but it's Elle." She corrected and he pointed at her nodding. "Elle, got it." He smirked and she looked down under his gaze.

"Hey, man what's up. I'm Jesse." Another voice called as they hurried down the stairs with a backpack on their shoulder.

"I'm Luke. You're late." The manager scolded, turning to the brunette beside him. "This is—"

Jesse cut him off before he had the chance to introduce her. "Elle. We've met." He noted.

Elle looked between the pair awkwardly and watched how neither averted their gaze first. It was intimidating to say the least. "Sort of." Elle corrected and Jesse turned to look at her with a frown.

Jesse tilted his head to the side. "Not sort of, we've met." He insisted and Elle shrugged, turning back to Luke. "A little." She corrected again and Jesse scoffed.

"We've totally met." He insisted.

"Never said we hadn't." The brunette shrugged.

Luke looked between the pair who were now looking at each other intensely. He coughed to gain their attention and they both turned to him. "Okay, cool. Well you guys can figure it out while you're stacking CD's. When you're done, there's more. Now you guys will be spending a lot of down time together, so please just no sex on the desk. I've been burned before." He explained and the pair glanced at eachother and nodded before they headed over to the CDs and records that needed filing.

"We have met. I played air guitar for you, helped you with your bags, now I know where you live." He listed and Elle looked at him with a strange look. "I'm not a stalker, don't look at me like that." He laughs and she raised her hands in mock defence, picking up five or six records at a time to put away.

She smiled to herself slightly, looking at the boy across from her who was doing the same, then turning back to the records. "Not exactly what i thought we'd be doing, but okay." She sighed, flipping over one of the cases she remembered from her old family home.

"Not me. I'm here for one reason only. I really love stacking CDs." Jesse sighed happily, holding them up ecstatically. "So what's your deal? You one of those girls who hide behind their glasses to be invisible but then she removes them and everyone realises she was there looking beautiful the whole time?" He asked, dropping a compliment subtly.

Elle frowned, not noticing the compliment. "I don't wear glasses." She pointed out.

"Then you're already beautiful." He shrugged making the girl smile and blush now she picked up on the compliment. Jesse felt proud that he had actually said it and even made her blush, but hid it by the concentrated look he pulled, pretending to read the back of the record he was holding while he not so noticeably watched her.

"You're not so bad yourself." She mumbled loud enough for him to hear before she swiftly disappeared behind one of the cases to put away the records she was holding and to escape the aftermath of what she had just spoken.