Chapter 27

"You never responded. Is everything okay?" Immediately, Leilani melted. Carters voice provided a level of comfort that she never thought she would find.

Leilani wanted to take heed to everything Noelle had said. Maybe it was best to keep everything to herself. The situation wasn't that bad. Nothing had gotten back to the office... yet.

Truthfully, Leilani didn't think it would. Would Sally and Zach really jeopardize their careers to out her and Carters relationship? Was it really that serious?

With her mind racing a million different tracks, she had forgotten she needed to actually speak.

"Hey, you there?" Carter repeated, his voice dark and husky. He sounded tired.

"Yes, I'm sorry. Long day." Leilani finally managed to get some words out.

"How is Noelle?"

Leilani was shocked that he remembered her best friends name. She had only spoken about her in the very beginning of their relationship. Everything after that was just "my best friend."

Leilani smiled. "She's great. We had a good time catching up."

Leilani didn't want to talk too much about their time out. She could tell Carter about Noelle's revenge against Sally or how she was completely ambushed by a pair of whackos, but she decided against it.

Besides, by keeping this to herself, Leilani figured it would be best for their relationship. No drama, no problems.

"Is your trip going well?" She changed the subject.

Carter sighed. "Long meetings. So many presentations." He sounded so drained.

Leilani frowned. "It'll be over soon." She reminded him.

Carter laughed. He missed Leilani so much and he really wished he'd taken her along.

"I have to talk to you about something when we get back to the office." Carter informed her.

Leilani's heart sped up. What did he want to talk about? Had he heard something?

"Is everything okay?" Leilani nervously questioned him.

"Yes." Carter replied.

There was a moment of silence on the line.

"Carter?"

"I'm sorry, I dosed off for a moment." Carter cleared his throat.

"It's fine, get some rest. I'll see you in the office Monday?"

"Goodnight, dear. I love you."

"I love you more, Carter."

Monday came much quicker than Leilani had expected. She couldn't even remember anything she had done Sunday.

The only thing on her mind was Friday night's catastrophe. Brought on by two people she now considered the worst on earth.

Leilani decided to dress the opposite of how she felt. Pastels were always an easy pick-me-up for her.

She gave herself a fresh set of beach curls and kept her makeup light. Leilani's outfit of choice was a lilac tweed skirt that stopped three inches above the knee. She chose a white, short sleeve, button up blouse with bell sleeves. Her heels were white pumps.

Upon entering the office, Leilani expected to be greeted terribly with whispers or side eyes. To her surprise, nothing of the sort went on.

Leilani floated past the break room on the way to the supply closet. Sally wasn't in the room, neither was Zach.