Chapter 35

Carters mind was all over the place.

Rachel was back. Legally.

When she spontaneously entered his office thirty minutes before the workday was set to start, he was fully aware of her and the nonsense she was going to bring.

"Good morning, Carter." Rachel grinned, waltzing into his office, immediately making herself comfortable. Comfortable to Rachel was sitting on the edge of his desk.

Comfortable to Carter was Rachel not even being in the same room as him. That really would have made him comfortable.

"You can sit there." Carter stated, sternly. Gesturing towards the office chair on the opposite side of his desk.

"Okay.." Rachel sighed and removed herself, pulling down the dress that was much too short for business professional attire...

Once Rachel was situated, Carter began the conversation.

"How are you today, Rachel?" He questioned.

"Great, now that I'm sitting here in front of you. It's been quite a long time," Rachel began to say, however Carter cut her off.

"It has. I'm happy to see that you've returned back to Vanderbilt Publications." Carter had no interest in entertaining her flirty ways. He actually wanted to keep the conversation fruitful.

"Thank you, I was hoping we could go for lunch this afternoon..." Rachel trailed off, crossing her legs and twirling her hair.

Carter mentally rolled his eyes.

Whore.

He thought to himself.

Carter regretted everything he'd done with this one in the past. Rachel was the worst rebound decision. He took a mental note to just head to the gentlemen's club next time and not the company lounge..

"Rachel, going forward I would like to keep our interactions work-related solely. It would be better for us both and for our reputations throughout the business." Carter told her simply.

Rachel looked slightly disappointed. "Is this because of your new-young-thing?"

Carter knew that denial was not just a river in Egypt.

"Rachel, I'm not sure what you're talking about." He lied, ending the conversation about Leilani that was about to spiral.

Carter knew not to say much. He wanted to keep the details short.

"Yes, I do. Sally told me everything. You can't have me so you chase after someone who just graduated from grade school?!" Rachel exclaimed, balling up her fist and slamming them down onto her thighs.

"Rachel, I understand your frustration but mentioning hearsay is not going to make the situation better." Carter told her simply.

Rachel huffed and stormed out of the office.

She didn't stay long enough for Carter to verbally explain her next steps within the company. Rachel would just have to read it in an email.

Fortunately for him, he had recommended her team for a new project build within the company building. That meant, Rachel was going to be twenty floors beneath him and nowhere near his office for a few months.

Carter still wasn't sure what he was going to do about Sally and her gossip that was spreading throughout the office.

Perhaps he could send her to Rachel's team or have her transferred to one of their partner companies.

Either way, Sally had to go too.

And it didn't help that another company was attempting to buy out the company. Jin-Lang Publishing and co. To be exact.

Overseas companies were always a problem for Carter. They'd pretend to only be interested in investing... Three to five years later the companies are submitting unwanted offers to Carter.

The downside... Carter was interested.

Jin-Lang was offering an amount that Carter honestly would be a fool to deny. Unfortunately, again, there are downsides.

Carter would have to leave the behind Vanderbilt Publications. Well, the name that is. AND formally step down as CEO, meaning he would have no role in the company. He'd no longer have the power to ok or no way the publishing of a book.

As well as all of his loyal and trusted employees... unless they chose to follow his departure.

Carter had a meeting with Jin-Lang this early afternoon to talk about everything that would happen with the Vanderbilt Publications in the event of him going through with the sale of the company.

His palms were sweaty and the back of his tux was damp. Carter said a small prayer in hopes that no one would notice how anxious he was.

Glenda had ensured the meeting room was up to par. The bar cart was fully stocked with water, light refreshments, and a bottle of Japanese sake.

Lunch was being catered before the meeting. Carter had instructed Glenda to reach out to Jin-Lang's personal assistant in order to serve his favorites.

They even had hibachi chefs coming to the company lounge this evening for dinner.

Even if Carter accept Jin-Langs business proposal, he still wanted to keep his guest entertained.

Glenda entered the meeting room; Carter sat alone, admiring the view.

"We're all good to go for the meeting. Do you need anything else?" Glenda wandered.

Carter looked up at her and smiled. "A therapist for the next ten minutes," Carter joked.

"I'm no therapist but I am available to chit chat." Glenda pulled a chair over to Carter.

Carter trusted Glenda. She had been around since his father ran the company. Glenda used to sneaker Carter snacks from the break room when he was forced to wait for him after school.

His mother never kept anything unhealthy in the house and his lunch was all organic. He was introduced to artificial sweeteners because of Glenda.

"What would my father do?" Carter asked her.

Glenda sighed. Carters father was always a touchy subject for the two of them.

"You know he'd never let his company go." Glenda answered, easily.

Carter smiled. Truthfully, part of him didn't understand why he was even entertaining Jin-Lang...

"You're right. But I'm not sure what to do anymore. This company is becoming a lot to handle."

There was a long moment of silence before Glenda decided to speak again.

"Just follow your heart." Glenda suggested before leaving the room.