Chapter 32

Carter never called.

Leilani was truly shocked that he hadn't attempted to contact her at all. She'd checked her voicemail all morning. Even contemplated calling her cellphone provider to quadruple check for her.

Leilani wasn't sure if she should even step foot into the office today. Was she even allowed to after yesterdays awkward disaster?

Screw this, she thought to herself.

7:30am. Leilani's bedside clock read.

There was no way she was going to let this catastrophe with Carter just keep boiling until it boiled over. She felt that she could at least try and take the heat.

Leilani yanked her cellphone from its charger and pounded her thumb against Carter's contact info.

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

You have reached the voicemail box of...

You've got to be kidding me. Did he forward my call?

Leilani was over this nonsense.

She never questioned Carter in the worst way first. Leilani's first thoughts were always optimistic. In a normal instance like this, she'd think that perhaps he was in the shower, busy getting ready, or on an early call with overseas investors...

This was different. It was hard for Leilani to be optimistic when in the midst of romantic chaos.

Carter wasn't ready to talk.

She assumed.

Leilani quit letting her mind wonder for the worst and decided to shoot him a text instead.

Leilani: Good morning, I look forward to seeing you today...

And with that, she got ready for the day.

Of course, Leilani was the first to enter the building. She also intended on being the first intern Carter laid eyes on that morning.

Leilani chose not to rush to her desk, but instead the break-room.

Refusing sleep to mope about her boss was definitely written across her face. Her makeup was on. But, so was her facial expressions. Leilani was tired. Physically and emotionally.

Leilani picked through the breakfast area and picked through the items.

"Don't see anything you like?" There was that familiar voice.

Leilani chose to ignore it. Call me, petty. She didn't care. Leilani kept her head down, sifting through the dry granola bars. The ones that break into a million little crumbs when you bite it.

"I have an extra latte..." the voice had now interested her.

Leilani tried her best to remain unphased. She didn't want to be bribed with the caffeine she so desperately desired.

Nope.

Don't fall for it.

"And I have a fresh butter bagel... you know, from Famous Fresh Bagels. It's this new place from downtown-" that was all she needed to hear.

Leilani snapped her head up and waltz over in the direction.

Zach held the latte in one hand and the white paper bag of goodies in the other.

"This doesn't mean anything." Leilani convinced them both.

Unfortunately, because she didn't drop her belongs at her desk first, she was stumped. She attempted to balance her laptop, work tote, manuscripts, and now breakfast, but knew she would have to make two trips.

"Don't give yourself a headache, sweetheart." Zach joked, grabbing her things so she could cradle the latte and bagel back to her desk.

Leilani rolled her eyes, leading the way.

When they arrived to her cubicle, they in unison gasped at the mountain of stuffed Manila envelopes piled onto her desk.

No way these are manuscripts. She thought to herself.

Leilani huffed. Plopping down into her chair, taking her things from Zach, who chose to linger for a while, staring at the amount of work Leilani had.

"I want to apologize." Zach finally let out. She was confused.

"For thinking that you had something going on with Mr. V. There were rumors that he gave interns brutal work and seeing that this is actually triple the norm for him... there's clearly no love here." Zach joked.

It wasn't funny to her.

Zach was right.

Leilani had never been given this amount of work before.

Until today.

If Leilani had come to work on time, she would've been incredibly delayed because for some reason, half the manuscripts were due back to him today.

But the instructions sent via email stated that all manuscripts were to be given to Glenda who pass them through to his new personal secretary who would then get them back to him.

Leilani was so incredibly confused by his sudden neglect. All of the work he was throwing at her kept her head so far deep into the pages that she couldn't even look up at him.

She'd heard his voice throughout the office. Leilani smelled his cologne around her.

This isn't fair. Leilani wanted to cry out to him.

What had she done that was so bad? To be treated like absolutely nothing.

Leilani would have to work through lunch. She was afraid to be seen doing anything but working. Leilani needed these things to be noted when it was time for the company to write her letter of recommendation.

And when everyone else left at 5pm, Leilani packed up the last Manila envelope and headed up to the company lounge.

She didn't plan to drink, she was going to order a cocktail and munch on the free snacks at the bar. The salted cashews, olives, and cubed cheese were enticing for her.

Leilani found herself a seat in a corner, immediately pulling out her highlighter and pen as she waited for the bartender to spot her.

Halfway through her Virgin pina colada, and more than halfway through the manuscript Leilani checked the time on her watch: 7:42pm.

The last bus wasn't leaving until 10pm and the company lounge closed at midnight. She had a ton of time to spare.

Leilani decided to take a break from the words she had lost herself in and took a look around the lounge.

She spotted a few people from the office, some from a digital marketing company down the street, and the very person she should be avoiding... Zach.

With her arms now crossed against her chest, her nose turned upwards, she even turned her body towards the wall.

"Can we talk, please?" Zach begged.

Nope.

"How about I order you a real drink..."

Leilani turned to face him. How on earth did he know she was drinking mocktails?

Truthfully, she wanted a martini.

"Bartender, can you order her a martini? Put it on my tab." Leilani eyed the entire interaction. It was quick, quite smooth actually.

It was like her read her mind.

The bartender swiftly removed the half drunken pina colada from Leilani's sight and placed the martini into her view.

Zach slid the manuscript over to himself, along with her writing utensils and began marking it up.

"Try the drink." Zach instructed.

It wasn't until martini number three... that really got Leilani talking.