Chapter 5

"Leilani, could you come to my office please?"

Leilani heard Mr. Vanderbilt call her over the office intercom. Two days had past since she realized she had a little crush on Mr. Vanderbilt. She made it her mission not to stare too hard and keep her head hung low.

She soothed out any wrinkles from the dress she was wearing and took a deep breath before entering his office.

"Yes, Mr. Vanderbilt?" Leilani greeted him, innocently. She watched him drop the papers he was holding and focus his attention on her.

Before speaking, he smiled.

"There's this company gala tonight, that I totally forgot about. I need you to head down to Bloomingdales and pick up a suit that's on hold under my name." Mr. Vanderbilt dug around in his wallet and handed Leilani a credit card. "Pick up an outfit for yourself too." He instructed.

"You want me at the gala?" Leilani questioned, her eyebrows raised.

Mr. Vanderbilt chuckled lightly. "Of course. Everyone else is going to be there. Why shouldn't you?" He replied.

Leilani smiled and headed out.

After picking up Mr. Vanderbilt's tuxedo, she quickly ran through a few stores to find an outfit for the gala. She had never went to one and didn't want to dress improperly for the event.

She had decided on a pink sequined dress.

Her heels were silver platforms

She made it back to the office an hour later, finding that Mr. Vanderbilt had let everyone go early to get ready for the gala.

"I look forward to seeing you tonight, Ms. Jones." He told her, grabbing his suit from her as she prepared to leave the office.

Three hours later, Leilani was a nervous wreck. She wasn't sure if she was underdressed or overdressed. She took her time with her make up. Painting herself a natural picture as her dress would already be enough. She curled her hair in loose waves and carried a small silver purse with her.

Once inside the location, which was at the natural history museum in the towns shopping district, she stood at a table. Leilani felt out of place as she watched the Caucasian's interact with the other Caucasians.

"Well, aren't you a show stopper tonight?" Leilani heard Sally's voice from behind her. Leilani gave sally a side hug as she stood next to her.

"You drinking for two?" Leilani playfully asked, noticing a glass of champagne in each of Sally's hands.

This caused sally to giggle.

"Girl, no. I was ordering one until I saw you step inside." Sally tells Leilani, attempting to hand her a glass.

"Thank you, but I'm underage." Leilani tries to tell her.

"One drink will do no harm." Sally persuades Leilani, who gives in to the pressure and grabs the glass.

Of course, one drink turned into three drinks. Leilani no longer felt alone, even though she was.

After sally had given her a bit too much alcohol, Sally dipped off elsewhere and Leilani stood playing candy crush on her cell phone in the corner of the room. She hadn't recognized anyone else from the office and made the conscious decision to step outside, where no one could see how uncomfortable she was.

Now sitting on a bench in the museums garden, Leilani contemplated heading to the front and hailing a cab to going home. This wasn't her scene. She felt out of place with the diamond wearers and Rolex owners.

"Wow, I hadn't even seen you tonight. You look ravishing."

She knew that voice. That was the voice she was crushing on.

Leilani looked up, Mr. Vanderbilt hovered over her with a small glass in his hand. The glass contained a brown liquid. Mr. Vanderbilt took a seat next to her on the bench and smiled.

"You know, I hate these company parties now." He confessed, twirling his glass so his alcohol formed a torpedo inside the glass.

"Why?" Leilani inquired. Mr. Vanderbilt scoffed. "Last year I had someone to go with. This year... this year I was alone." Mr. Vanderbilt told her. He brought the glass to his lips, but he refrained from drinking it.

Instead, he offered it over to Leilani.

"Here." He insisted.

Leilani threw her hands up in protest.

"I've had enough drinks tonight," Leilani joked, Mr. Vanderbilt laughing with her.

"Really? Doesn't seem like it." Mr. Vanderbilt leaned back, studying Leilani intensely, his eyes squinted.

"Oh, please. You're not even drunk. Just taste it." He handed the drink over to her, this time she accepted it.

Leilani pressed the glass to her lips, taking slow sips as she finished down the brown liquid, which goes down her throat with a tingly sensation. Mr. Vanderbilt cheered as she handed the empty glass over to him.

There was a silence between them. Mr. Vanderbilt stood, extending his hand out to Leilani.

"Let's dance." He offered. This was something she didn't want to protest. She placed her purse on the bench, gently placing her hand in his as she stood.

He wrapped his right arm around her waist and inter whined his left hand with hers. She laid her head on his chest as they swayed side to side, slowly. The classic music comforting the both of them. This was similar Leilani's daydream. They weren't on a cloud, or inside a huge library, but it was okay. This was much better.

Mr. Vanderbilt pulled away from Leilani, causing her to look up at him. A small hint of astonishment evident on her face.

"You are a very beautiful woman." Mr. Vanderbilt told her. Leilani couldn't tell if it was the alcohol talking or it was really how he thought of her.

He brought his face down to hers, Leilani brought hers closer to his. They pressed their lips gently against each other's. Leilani felt his hands running along her back, but never touching her bum. The kiss began to intensify, something she wasn't expecting. Leilani pulled away, nervous. She did want more but she didn't know how to ask for it or execute it.

Before she could say anything, Mr. Vanderbilt bolted away.