.1.

--ʏ/ɴ--

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙳𝙰𝚈 the trouble started was the day that the boy rode into Independence, Missouri. He was two days behind me and looked as confident as the day he was born as he pulled up to the captain's wagon. I was polishing the rifles of the company, checking the powder and catch of each one as I did so. They wanted them checked before we started off day after next, and I wasn't going to turn down any chance to make myself useful-- in the next couple days especially. It wasn't too late for me to get fired, after all. The gun lay across my lap as I worked the rag around the barrel, using the cover of my hat to take unobtrusive glances in the newcomer's direction. 

He was young, nothing more than a year older than myself, if that. But quite a few of us going West were, after all. He looked antsy, I could tell that much-- now that he was dismounted and stood next to his horse. It was a good horse, well lined and strong looking. Him, on the other hand... well, I couldn't deny he was well lined and strong looking as well. This was trouble, I could feel it. Best case scenario, he got hired on as well and I'd need to watch my back. Worst case, he took my job all together. Then I'd be stuck here 'til next spring, when the next companies set off. The boy fidgeted again, drawing my attention back to him. There was an air of recklessness 'round him that I could see from a mile off, but there was something more, too. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. He looked... familiar? He couldn't be, though. Maybe it was just the feel he had about him, the way he held himself. He was a runaway, no doubt about that. The horse was much too fine for him to have earned himself, looking the way he did. I wasn't exactly one to judge though.

The boy was talking too quietly for me to hear from such a ways, probably making his case for hire. I hoped he was asking too much, but looking at him I didn't think so. He didn't look like he was used to asking for much, the way his clothes hung and the way his eyes darted around. I placed the last rifle on the wagon bed next to me and set about delivering the rest to their respective owners. I dropped the last at the Jackson's wagon, which was parked right next to the captain's before shooting another glance in the new boy's direction. The captain saw me looking and lifted his chin to accompany a beckoning hand. 

He'd been hired on, then, I thought grimly as I picked my way across the uneven ground, delaying the time I'd reach them. All I could hope for was that he wasn't my replacement. 

The boy turned to face me as I approached, eyes skimming up and down, sizing me up. I quirked an eyebrow at him, clinging to the barest hope he wouldn't actually be joining. The captain's next words put a stop to that, though. "Boy, this'un's to be joining the company. I've hired him on with your conditions. Hopefully he'll be useful when we get farther out, huh?" He smiled, taking the sting from his words as he patted the boy on the shoulder. That was the captain, all too willing to hire on anybody with a sob story who ventured his way. Maybe it was a good thing we were leaving soon, or every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be wanting to join up. I couldn't really complain, of course, given that I'd taken just as much advantage of his generosity. 

"Jack. Kelly." The boy said, sticking out a hand. I shook it briefly, not wanting to make contact any longer 'n I needed to. That was my motto, had been since my parents died-- for more so reasons than just sentimentalness now. The fewer and shorter the touches were, the less of a cause anyone would have had to realize I wasn't exactly who I claimed to be. 

"Matthew," I said briefly, glancing around for something for Kelly to do. "Water buckets 're there, if you'll fill them." I jerked my head in the direction and started moving to finish the rest of the chores. This would be easier for everyone if I didn't get friendly, even if it would make for more of an uncomfortable journey West. 

I could feel eyes on my back from the wagon I'd just left. Emma. The girl seemed about my age, maybe a bit younger, travelling with her father westward. I hadn't made any effort to get to know her, despite her best efforts- the opposite, in fact, given how I didn't want anyone finding out my secret. It was a pity, since there wasn't really anyone else our age on this train. Maybe it was best Kelly was joining on-- I made all too an attractive 'boy' for my own good. Either that, or, Emma was just desperate. 

Either way, something told me that the boy currently requesting directions to the spring was plenty to keep her occupied. Maybe they'd even keep each other busy, and I could actually manage to make it to California undiscovered. Tamping down the voice persistently reminding me that I'd probably still have to remain disguised for my own safety in California, I pointed Kelly tersely towards the water and set off again. The sooner he realized we weren't going to be friends, the better.