.13.

--ʏ/ɴ--

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙳𝙰𝚈 came faster than I was ready for. I'd barely wrapped my head around my plan and already it was time to put it into practice. I'd started by avoiding him less, even carrying out a few conversations he'd initiated. I went so far as to sit next to him by the fire last night, something I found I'd actually missed. And now the key day'd come, as our wagons set up outside of the small ramshackle town. Jack and I had both had offers extended to us by the captain and the Mitchells (who'd be travelling onward a little more, to find an unstaked claim to work together) to continue on with them. I'd accepted, seeing as it would do more good than bad to have people around if my uncle ever came for me, but Jack'd said he needed the day to think it over. 

So the captain had paid us both our wages for the trip-- more money than I'd seen tangibly in months (oh how the mighty have fallen)-- and told us to enjoy ourselves in town for the day. "But not too much," he'd added with a meaningful look at Jack, who'd ended up blushing. Emma had giggled. 

Us four 'young ones' deemed old enough to traverse the town alone set off, but the group quickly dissolved, Emma and Westley scampering off to somewhere and I ducking into a small all-purpose store. 

Fingering the coin in my pocket, I browsed carefully, trying to calculate what I'd need for our claim soon. Then a bright pattern caught my eye, most of the color in the store being shades of brown and grey. Dresses, ready made. Only three, but they were bright and pretty and oh so expensive. I made my choice rashly, quickly, pointing to one in a blue calico and setting my money on the counter before I could change my mind. The dress was wrapped and packaged for me, and the shopkeeper's assistant, who I presumed to be his wife, eyed me up and down. I was in Emma's yellow, which was by this point near worn out of color and remarkably old looking. 

"Would you like me to take it in for you, dear? Wouldn't be a trouble." 

Which was how I found myself in the back room as she hummed and fussed, pinning fabric around me and hemming it to my body. "There we go, much more deserving of a pretty young thing like you now," She said with a satisfied smile, turning me to face the cracked mirror. "And I'll even throw this in for ye," she said, picking up a ribbon the same color and doing up my hair with swift hands. 

"Now you be careful out there, now," she said, talking over my attempted thanks. "Heaven knows I'm not one to talk like this, normally, but you've got a man around, don't you? Father, uncle... husband?" 

"I- uncle, of a sort. None of the others," I said, figuring the captain wouldn't mind much if I used himself so. 

"Good. It ain't all too safe around here for women yet, there's too few 'f us. Too few of us indeed," She replied, with a shake of her head. "Make sure you keep him close, luv. Only reason I asked 'bout the husband was that lad standin' outside-- figured you knew him, seeing as he's acting as if he's waiting for you." 

I frowned slightly, sneaking a peek towards the front. What I saw made my heart leap into my throat-- Finnigan Murphy, standing out front and conversing with none other than my dear old Uncle Riley himself. Not even two hours in town, and already they were at my front step. Figuratively speaking. 

"N-no ma'am, they're not related to me. In fact, um, is there a back way?"

Seeing the panic evident on my face, the shopkeeper's wife had no problem wheeling me about and out the back entrance of the shop. "You stay safe now, y'hear?" she told me sternly. "And if there's any trouble just come on back." 

I nodded my thanks, already on my way away from the store. Sooner or later they'd realize I wasn't inside any more, and I needed to be far away when that happened. Preferably back with the captain-- though he didn't know the details, I was sure he'd take my side. The only trouble now was he was somewhere in town. 

My pace quickened, and I zigzagged down between the makeshift buildings, no goal in mind but away and to. Nobody stopped me, the speed I was going at giving none a chance. Eventually, I sank to a barrel round back of a tavern of sorts, seeing as the town wasn't large and the back alleys were my best bet of getting around unseen. Taking a few breaths to ease the stitch in my side that had come from panic, I spared a brief thought for the nice new fabric of my dress as I perched on the barrel, but such niceties were soon driven past by a shout. 

"She's 'ere!" 

Finn. I hated that boy, and for real, too. Springing up, I kicked the empty barrel into his path as he came round the side of the tavern, starting to run again. They were close, so close, my dress tripping me up as I stumbled away, around a corner, and then I was yanked firmly into a gap between two buildings that looked smaller than anyone should have fit down. 

And yet there was Jack, mischievous glint in his eye even as he held a hand up to stop my startled noise, finger gently brushing against my lips. The footsteps grew louder, and someone spoke from the place I'd disappeared from-- "She's got to be around here-- didn't come out that alley. Start searching." 

A thrill shot through me-- they'd almost pinned me in. And now they were getting closer, and in my gut I knew they were going to find us. Find me, and then who knew what would be next?

I bit my lip, making a quick decision. "Jack," I said in a harsh whisper, his attention drawn quickly back to me. "Kiss me?" 

"What?"

"Kiss me," I said, heart racing. "Before they find us, please. You said you would, when I asked for it, and--" 

"Darlin', this really isn't the time," He hissed, but a slight smirk was on his lips, and I knew he was about to acquiesce. 

But then a laugh, and rough hands at my arms, and my heart sank to my toes as Jack and I were dragged from the hiding spot into the light.