.5.

--ʏ/ɴ--

". . .𝚆𝙷𝙰𝚃 do you mean?" I said, my voice tight as I squinted through the dark towards Kelly.

"Saw it in the news, day b'fore I left. Last papes I ever sold, actually," He replied, brushing strands of hair from his face. "Most of 'em were runnin' the story-- young pretty heiress goes missin', people take notice. Your uncle'd talked to a reporter, apparently thought you might head to the city. Changed his tune halfway through an' started talking about how you'd never'd left on your own, wrapped it up with offerin' a reward for your 'captor'. Knowing what you've told me now, he was prob'ly worried somebody'd look into it if word got out you'd ran." 

I cursed softly, causing the boy to chuckle under his breath. "But you said he was lookin' North, yeah?" 

He shrugged. "Last I heard. He was collectin' donations to look for y' too." 

I allowed myself to hope for a second-- maybe that would be enough for him, maybe he'd give up soon. But I knew he wouldn't, not when there was more money to be gotten. And I knew he'd bee looking for me too... he never was one to part with money if he could help it, especially not now. And how long would it be before he caught on? The world wasn't that big, and there were only so many ways I would have gone. 

All I could hope for was to get to California and lose myself in the rush so he'd never have a chance of finding me. 

"...Y/N?" Jack's voice broke the silence, and I realized I'd been quiet. "You a'right?" 

"I'm as well as can be expected," I shrugged, lowering myself back down onto my bedroll slowly. 

He nodded once, the motion barely visible in the darkness. "Well-- if you ever need to, um, talk about it? Or anything?" 

Despite myself my lips quirked upwards at the corner. "Thanks, Kelly." 

"Yeah. No problem." 

*

I don't know how long it would have lasted, how long we would have remained on half-friendly terms before continuing. How long we would have danced around each other, movements choppier than any waltz. How long it would have taken for me to start to fall for him, and how long it would have taken me to admit it. 

Fortunately, (for lack of a better word), that didn't have to happen. Unfortunately, the way it spiraled out was messy and complicated, and the way it threw us together would have been laughable under other circumstances. Maybe it will be, eventually. 

On the whole though, I'd rather have skipped the getting shot part.