.10.

--ᴊᴀᴄᴋ--

𝙸𝙽 𝙼𝚈 𝙳𝙴𝙵𝙴𝙽𝙲𝙴, it's all but confirmed there was something in the drinks. Where they'd gotten spirits from, in the middle of nowhere, I'd no idea. An' I know that's not an excuse, but I didn't kiss her back, neither. I just-- froze, you know? I've kissed a few-- okay, more'n a few-- girls in my lifetime, but not when I was dead set on another.

Even if Y/N wasn't there to see, even if we weren't... what was the word? exclusive? anyways, it didn't sit right with me. Which was why, soon as Lilian pulled back, disappointment carved in her face at my lack of response, I kindly but firmly informed her that she was lovely, if a bit exuberant, and that while I had enjoyed our time together, the girl I'd currently been trying to make jealous wasn't even paying attention to me anymore, and I didn't want her to get the wrong idea. 

That last bit was a complete lie, just so you know. I stammered something about needin' the bathroom and ran, just like I did earlier when Y/N had left, just like I did even earlier when I left New York. I always ran away; it was what I was best at. Why face your problems when you can just avoid 'em? Especially when facing them is likely to get you soaked at the best and dead at the worst. 

But that strategy wasn't going to work this time, not if I had any hope of actually gettin' anywhere. And glory did I want to. I was done with runnin' away, at least if I could help it. For the first time, now, I was runnin' to something. Someone.

And I didn't want that to change, even if I had to keep going until I got a real answer from her, no matter what that may be. 

*

I found her in the captain's wagon, curled back into the same position she'd been in for days. 

"How's your side, darlin'?" I found myself saying, climbing in and taking a seat. 

"I don't think you're supposed to be in here," she said, voice colder'n I'd ever heard it. 

"Ain't any of them caring right now," I said, impatiently. She hadn't answered my question, and the way she was curled made me worried. "Are you hurt?" 

"No more than usual," came the reply. 

"Doll, could you just stop bein' upset? I'm sorry I disappeared, there was this girl, an'... can we talk? Proper-like?" I asked. 

She huffed, muttering something under her breath, but sat, turning to face me with her knees drawn up to her chest and her dress draped tastefully over her legs. "About?"

"You. An' me. The both of us." I waved a hand at the space between us, wishing it wasn't so much just as her eyes grew even colder. 

"Can't see there's much to talk about," bit her voice. "Ain't nothin' here for you, if that's what you're concerned about. I don't care if you wanna chase skirts all night, or all day either." 

"No, I'm not chasin' anyone," I protested. "'cept you, if you'll have me. That's what I'm tryin'a tell you, darlin'--" 

"No." 

"No... no what?" I asked, confused at the speed. 

"No, I'll not have you. I'll not have someone who settles for convenience's sake and runs off the moment a pretty face smiles at him," She said, her voice growing more spirited. 

"I don't--" I began, before starting again. "I just meant to make you jealous, darlin'. I wasn't expectin' to see you there, an' I didn't wanna look like I knew you. I didn't know who all knew you were there." 

"Well if the way you were carryin' on was any indication, don't think I'd have wanted you to treat me any different," she sniffed. 

"What, you didn't wanna be in my lap sitting by a fire?" I teased, knowing immediately that it was the wrong time. 

"No, I didn't," she said stiffly. 

"Sorry," I said guiltily. "That wasn't appropriate." 

She looked at me with something that was almost a half-smile, just shaking her head slowly. 

"Look, I'm really sorry. I wasn't at my smartest tonight." I moved slightly, towards her. She didn't move away, which I took as a good sign. "Can I... make it up to you?" I asked, reaching up and brushing a tiny bit of hair from out of her face. 

Her lips parted slightly, and I wasn't even ashamed to admit I was looking at them. "Jack, I--" she trailed off, and I waited with bated breath for what was sure to come. But she remained silent, and my blood was buzzing with the proximity to her. So I did what any sane boy would do and leant in to kiss her. 

The second my lips touched hers, she was jolted into action. Pulling back, I thought she was about to slap me. She 'most did, but I jumped to my feet, backing away. "Darlin', I--" 

"Don't you dare come in here and try to kiss me." Her chin was raised, and even though she was sitting on the wagon floor, she looked every inch the heiress she used to be. She was. "Not after you were out there, kissin' your little pioneer girl not even an hour ago." 

My eyes widened-- she'd seen? She kept going, and all I could think was how hurt she must have been. How much I'd messed everything up. 

"--can't trust someone who acts like that--" she ranted, and I broke in. 

"I'm sorry. Y/N, I'm so sorry. I'm gonna fix this, I swear. I'm gonna make you trust me again, and-- and I ain't gonna kiss you until you ask for it." 

She was gonna say something else, but I was backing up still. "So soon as you're ready, you just come find me, cause I'm gonna make things right an' when I do-- you owe me a kiss. Just gotta ask." I winked and jumped out of the wagon, not missing the irritated gasp from inside. 

Glory, I was in trouble.