.15.

--ʏ/ɴ--

𝙸'𝙳 𝙽𝙴𝚅𝙴𝚁 seen Uncle Riley look so fierce. He'd always seemed slightly pathetic in person, only power being what he could hold over me legally. Then again, I hadn't seen him when he'd found out I'd run away... still, though, I was sure he wouldn't be near so angry as he was now. For a second I wasn't prepared for the way his eyes flashed to Jack, and my heart leapt in my throat. I spoke quicker now, desperate. 

"Killing him'll do nothing for either of us-- money won't go back to me, and you won't be able to touch it." I lifted my chin and looked down my nose at Uncle Riley best I could. "So I'm willing to bargain." 

He looked disdainfully back at me, eventually flicking his fingers slightly in the direction of Jack and the man holding him. "Take him to the barn. We'll deal with him later. You two, inside."

I stepped towards the door, Finn by my side. The second we crossed the threshold he spun me slightly to face him, leaning in and pressing his lips firmly to mine as the door swung shut. 

--ᴊᴀᴄᴋ--

That little son of a-- 

I'm sure you can imagine my feelings in that moment, so I won't elaborate further on said subject. Suffice it to say, it was not the highlight of my day. To be fair, there wasn't much to call a highlight-- although I definitely had a moment picked out. Which made (what was his name? oh, right) Finn's actions even more stinging. I hadn't kissed her earlier when she asked, and now he was doing it. I'd no problem being jealous, even as I was manhandled towards the barn and tied to a chair inside. It gave me something to fume over; and by the time the barn started getting shadowy and night started to fall I was relatively sure that I hated Finn more than Y/N did. Not to mention her uncle.

The shadows lengthened, and I adjusted my position with a sigh. It was looking as if I'd be spending the night here, and my hands were already beginning to ache. They'd bound my arms behind the chair with rope around my hands, and then each leg to each respective chair leg. There wasn't much movement I could do, and the chair creaked annoyingly with each slight adjustment I made. 

Another creak broke the silence-- only it wasn't one of mine. My head shot up from a slightly lulled position, and I looked around. A flicker of light approached, rounding a corner and coming my direction, fast. 

Y/N.  She set her candle on a nearby barrel, gathering the ends of a shawl at her neck as she took two steps closer, determination etched into every line of her face. I was about to say something, anything, but before I could her small fingers wrapped around the bandanna tied around my neck and pulled me into a kiss. 

I couldn't breathe, couldn't think for what felt like forever. Luckily I didn't need to, my reflexes taking over as my lips moved against hers with increasing anxiousness. It was practically the only part of myself I could move, which was becoming extremely frustrating extremely quickly as her hand buried itself in my hair, and I was stuck completely unable to return the favor.

When we parted, lips barely separating, my eyes fluttered open and I managed to form words. "Heiress if you don't untie me right now I won't be held responsible for when I finally get out of this," I breathed, voice slightly lower pitched. I saw her swallow slightly, and a slight smirk darted to my face as she stepped back and around, fingers working quickly at the ropes behind me. As soon as my hands were freed I flexed my fingers, fumbling at the ropes around my legs. Y/N was undoing the others, and as soon as she finished I stood, pulling her with me, hands on her waist. Her hands rested on my forearms, and the way she was looking at me... 

I can't be held responsible for kissing her, not with the day we'd had. And this one was even better than the last, given as I could hold her. Probably tighter'n I should have, but again. Can't hold me responsible. 

It took several more kisses before either of us felt up to discussing the earlier events. Y/N was slightly breathless as she reassured me she had slapped Finn "into the next county" as she put it, as soon as he'd taken his lips off of her. 

"And given that my hands were tied, it wasn't so much a slap as a hit," she confided with a soft blush and a small smile. 

I only laughed softly, pulling her into my side a little more as we sat leaning against the wall of the barn. "No more than he deserves," I said to her, thumb brushing careful circles on her side. 

She smiled a little up at me, and I couldn't help but smile back. Even though we were in an extremely precarious position, she had the kind of smile that would make you do that. 

I listened quietly as she recounted the bargaining that had taken place, and the eventual stalemate they'd reached at the end of the night. 

"I have to see this through, Jack," she said, and I tried to stay focused on her words and not the way her lips curved around my name. "If he could find me here, he could find me anywhere. I have to do something to get him satisfied... but he's not settling for anything less than the whole fortune. He's threatening to get our 'marriage' annulled on grounds that he didn't approve it as my guardian, and I'm scared he could actually do it. Especially because, well..." 

"We're not actually married," I filled in, nodding. "That was quick thinking, darlin'. I wonder what possessed you to come up with an idea like that. Any daydreams I should know about?" I asked with a teasing smile. 

She huffed softly, shoving me lightly. "This ain't the time, Jack. I'll fill you in later," she added with a small smirk that I knew was intended to tease. "The point is, we gotta do something that'll get him to leave you-- us-- alone." 

But try as we might, neither of us could come up with anything. And by morning, we'd fallen asleep huddled next to each other against the wall of the barn. 

And unfortunately, that's how her uncle found us the next morning.