.3.

--ʏ/ɴ--

𝙸'𝙳 𝙽𝙾 way to measure the time that passed while I sat on the riverbank. It was enough for the sun to have dropped significantly, though, and enough for me to realize I'd no other choice besides returning to the camp. 

I stumbled down the riverbank slowly, my feet carrying me past the place where I'd run from Kelly earlier. There was no sign of him, or the clothes, clean or otherwise. I barely noticed as I made the trek back to the camp, mentally cursing the distance I'd traveled, just so I could keep my secret. It hadn't mattered anyway, had it? 

When I finally reached the spot where we'd camped, I half expected to find the wagons gone, them having left; when that wasn't the case, I expected the men to be waiting to confront me. But I barely saw a soul as I skipped around the edge, heading for my horse, to go-- where? I still didn't know- 

"There y'are, boy, back from the dead?" The captain's voice interrupted my panicked train of thought. All I heard was that word-- why hadn't he told? Or maybe he had, maybe word just hadn't reached the captain yet. Then Kelly was there, right next to him, saying, 

"Toldja he was fine- just not feelin' too well, took a turn restin' down by the river." 

"Certainly looks it. You've been working yourself too hard, huh? Don't push yourself, kid. We can't 'xactly fire you now!" The man laughed at his own joke, but I was too shellshocked to do more than crack a grin. He hadn't told, but why? What was he planning to do, to make me do in order to keep my secret. 

My face must have shown the panic I felt-- they very well could-- , since Kelly coughed, drawing the man's attention.  "Sir, we oughta get started with the wood. There's plenty here, an' I was thinkin' maybe we should bring some with? Since there ain't always so much, just for the next day or so." 

"I suppose it couldn't hurt," The captain nodded slowly. "Best be off then, if you're wanting it before dinner." 

Jack widened his eyes at me, and I forced myself to nod, and then made myself move back towards the trees. I could tell he was following me, and I could tell he was bursting at the seams with things he wanted to say. I could barely find time to appreciate that he wasn't blurting everything out with the fear that he was going to have something to request for his silence that I couldn't pay. 

--ᴊᴀᴄᴋ--

Sugar started for the trees, and I started after her. No, I had to find a different name for her now-- since she seemed t' dislike that one so much. Which stung, slightly; I didn't think it was that bad. Granted, she didn't know the whole story behind it... but then again I didn't have time to 'xactly explain.

 It'd help if I knew her real name, but I wasn't gonna push it. It was more important if she got help if she was hurt after all, an' I could deal with nicknaming her in my head for now. Cowgirl? Darlin'? I'd call her anythin' but Matt to tell you the truth. 

She spun just as we reached the clump of trees, turning to face me with her arms crossed tight over her chest. "What d'you want?" She asked, her voice rising back into its natural register, slightly above how she'd been keepin' it. 

"Nothing!" I raised my hands, showing my palms. "Nothin', really, sweetheart." No, not sweetheart... didn't flow quite right.

"So why haven't you told them?" She asked, shifting her weight backwards. I took a step t'wards her, but she stepped back immediately. She looked scared, an' I remembered in a flash all the stories I'd heard from Smalls, Sniper, Spot-- ev'rything that could happen to the girls on the streets. Obviously she was scared 'a somethin', and it hurt a little to think that that somethin' could have been me. 

"Cause if you ain't told 'em there's gotta be a good reason for that, yeah?" I said softly, tryin' a keep my voice low and soothing, like I'd had to do with the boys on occasion when there was a new little, or when one of 'em woke up with a nightmare...

"You have to want something-- there's gotta be something in it for you," She insisted, eyes darting around. 

I shook my head, but then got an idea, believe it or not. "Listen, doll--" better, but still not quite right-- "you tell me your name, an' I'll consider it a done deal, a'right? I'll keep your secret, no questions asked, just the name... oh, an' we gotta check where you're hurt." I remembered the blood from the stream, knew she had to be hurt somehow. 

She... blushed? "I'm not hurt," she shook her head, tight, controlled movements. I was noticing everythin' about her, each little movement... how any of them could think she was a boy was beyond me. "It's just... girl... month... you know?" 

I didn't, I really didn't, but since she already looked so pink and I didn't wanna push her now, not when she was just startin' to trust me. "Okay." I nodded, and then prompted, gently-- "An' your name?" 

Her flush deepened, and her lips moved soundlessly for a second, forming the word before finally letting sound through. "Y/N." 

I didn't push her for the rest, didn't even want to. It fit so perfect, and I found myself repeatin' it aloud, like a promise. "Y/N." 

She looked at me and almost smiled. "Not sugar." 

I laughed a little, nodding. "Not sugar." 

It was hours later, laying on my back under the wagon on top of a blanket, her sleeping form only a few feet away, that I realized what 'girl' and 'month' and 'blood' put together meant. Oh.