10. Bad Guy

''N-No way! Genos?'' I shouted in disbelief. ''What are you doing here?''

His eyes widened for moment when he noticed me by Garou's side. My presence there had been a complete surprise to him.

''Iruka?''

The cyborg lowered his cannon arm upon seeing me and blinked his black and yellow mechanical eyes at me. They seemed to soften up a moment, before turning back to their usual neutral, to almost cold, robotic look.

''You're not supposed to be here.''

''You two know each other?'' Garou suddenly asked beside me, seemingly bothered by the idea of me knowing a Class S Hero. He seemed more annoyed for me to know Genos than me being friends with Metal Bat. A thing he already knew, but it seemed to pinch his pride more on some other personal level.

''W-Well, yeah. We met at-''

''Does Silverfang know you're here? With him?'' Genos interrupted, somewhat irritated. He rarely implied any human intonation to his usual robotic tone, but this time he sounded pissed. Like, genuinely pissed at the sight of me and Garou being together.

''Have you been hiding him all this time, Iruka?''

''No, I was trying to keep him alive, Genos! Do you even know what he's been thro-''

''You've been helping him?'' He accused, interrupting me again. ''He's the Hero Hunter. He's been causing a ruckus all around. I'm sure you know about the gravity of the situations he has caused. The Hero Association sent a warrant for him, yet you keep his whereabouts a secret?''

''I don't work for the Hero Association! You know that. I have no obligation towards them. Plus, Garou's been nothing but nice to me. He even saved-''

''He's dangerous, Iruka.'' He coldly stated, clearly not caring to hear another word of praise for Garou from me.

''Would you let me finish!? Genos, you really don't understand-''

''What would Silverfang say if he knew you've been helping him? Did you think about that? Don't you think how disappointed he's going to be when he finds out you've been helping the Hero Hunter hide?''

Genos' words struck a chord. He was kinda right. I felt ashamed for caring so much for Garou, the one disciple that had caused Grandfather so much pain and inconvenience. It was like trying to hide a fugitive. But it didn't feel like that. I was exactly where I was supposed to be. Rightfully. Where my heart was telling me to be. They just didn't understand Garou like I did. Or maybe I was desperately trying to find excuses for Garou just because I felt attracted to him. It was hard for me to decide which one was correct. It felt like a grey area.

''W-Well... I've-I've thought about it, of course, but... Things are complicated...''

''Wait... Silverfang? You know the old man too?'' Garou's tone was accusing. ''What does that old fart have to do with you, Iruka?'' Like he had caught me lying to him about something I wasn't even trying to hide.

"Well, yeah... " I trailed. "He's my-"

''You.'' Genos said. ''Get away from her.'' He ordered, focusing his attention on Garou now. ''Iruka, for your safety, I advise you to step away from the Hero Hunter. He's dangerous.'' I furrowed my brows. Garou shifted uncomfortably beside me. ''He'll hurt you once he regains his strength.''

'You couldn't be more wrong, Genos.'

The injured man initially growled at the cyborg's request, but scoffed soon after, realising that it was time to let go of me. He would've let go sooner if I hadn't clinged so hard to his side. He stubbornly tried to wiggle his way out from my grasp, but I had a firm grip on his shoulders, enabling him from getting away from me without me being dragged by him in the process, and viceversa.