ᴛʜᴇ ғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢs

The residents of the loft and Cassy were down at the bar, Schmidt drowning his feelings in shots. Cassy was trying very hard to make sure he did not pass out.

"Three more, Cocktail Johnny." Schmidt said, slamming his hand on the counter and staring at Nick.

"Schmidt, that is melon-flavoured liquor. It's four-proof, okay? This is safe to drink while you're pregnant." Nick explained. Cassy laughed, shaking her head.

"Melon balls." Schmidt said, grinning.

"Schmidt, no matter how much you get drunk, Cece's still gonna be engaged. Now I know you're down about it, but-" Winston attempted.

"I'm not down about Cece." Schmidt insisted.

"This is a mess." Winston said, gesturing to the empty glasses.

"Winston, there are plenty of things to be "down" about." Schmidt stated. "The air pollution in China, the deficit, The Hobbit wasn't very good. If I wanted to see dwarves in a real-time dinner scene, I would have gone to Koreatown. Boo-yah! Ball me."

"What are you-" Nick asked as Schmidt reached over the bar, grabbing the melon liquor from the bar and drinking it from the bottle pourer. "Okay, you know what? I'm adding that to your bill."

"Take all of my money and get out of my room." Schmidt mumbled, laying his forehead on the bar.

"Jesus." Cassy mumbled, chuckling.

"What's up with the cheque? You've never given us one before." Jess asked. "I didn't even know you had these here."

"No more free drinks." Nick replied, shrugging. "Come on, this is my job. Show a little respect."

"Nick, I saw you pee in the register." Winston said, gesturing to the till behind him.

"Yeah, once. You think I was sober for that?" Nick asked. Cassy laughed.

"You once put out a sign that said "Take a drink, leave a drink"." Jess reminded.

"Okay, it's the only job I have, and I'm trying to be good." Nick explained, his face twisting. He turned, looking to Cassy. "It's about time I had a little responsibility."

"Responsibility, huh?" She asked, smiling.

"I thought of a new promotion. It's like Ladies' Night, but it's the opposite. Guys' Night." Nick stated. "My manager loved the idea, and if it goes well, maybe there's a promotion. I might move up a little in the world."

Cassy smiled, and Jess just shrugged before looking across the bar. She noticed the way Cassy was looking at Nick, and then the way Nick looked at Cassy. She glanced between them a few times before smiling to herself.

-

"You're so into him!" Jess whispered in the loft's bathroom.

"I... yeah." Cassy admitted, smiling as she brushed her teeth. "Just his ambition and passion about the bar... I don't know."

"Ooooh!" Jess squealed.

"Hey! Sorry, just putting a load in, I have a shift at the bar." Nick said, walking past them to the loft's washing machines. Jess was wiggling her eyebrows at Cassy, who was trying to slap her teasing pokes away. "Do any of you know where the iron is? I wanna iron my button down."

"Probably with Schmidt. If not, you can borrow mine." Cassy replied, shrugging.

"Cool. Thanks." He said, smiling as he left the bathroom.

"Oh. My god." Jess said, poking Cassy again.

"Stop it!" Cassy replied, trying not to smile.

"You gotta go after it, girl! He kissed you, now make it happen!" Jess suggested.