ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴊᴜʀʏ

Cassy nodded to the ER nurse, waving slightly as she took the gurney down to the lab. She took her gloves off, wiping a hand across her forehead. She'd had a night shift, and even though the party had been a few nights ago, she still felt dizzy from the amount of alcohol she and Nick had ingested. Her phone buzzed loudly from her pocket, and she sighed, putting it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Cassy, Nick is dying." Jess said on the other end.

"What?!" Cassy asked, her eyes going wide as she began to walk down the hallway.

"I'm not dying! Tell her I'm not dying!" Nick yelled through the phone.

"He's not. Not dying." Jess corrected. Cassy frowned, hearing a loud groan of pain from the other side. "Maybe a little bit."

"What happened?" Cassy asked, grabbing her keys and running to her car. She put her phone on speaker, rapidly texting the other ME that she would be gone for a few minutes. "Should I bring an ambulance?"

"No! Tell her not to come! Cassy! Don't come!" Nick yelled.

"Uh, no. No ambulance." Jess relayed.

"I can hear him, Jess."

"No ambulance." She repeated. Cassy sighed, putting on her seatbelt and driving out of the parking lot.

"Where are you guys?" Cassy asked.

"Uh, the park. Couple blocks from the loft." Jess replied.

"No!" Nick yelled.

"I'm on my way." Cassy said, shaking her head as she hung up the phone. She drove as quickly as she could, legally, through the city before making it to the park she was talking about. It was essentially a playground with a large field right beside it. She could see Jess, Winston and Schmidt standing in a circle in the middle of the field, and what looked like Nick lying prone on the ground. She huffed, grabbing her first aid kit from the car just in case and jogged over to them.

"Cassy!" Schmidt said happily, putting his hands in the air in relief.

"No..." Nick groaned from the ground. Cassy smiled pitifully, looking down at him.

"Hey, Nick."

"Hello." He replied, face twisted in pain. She noted the position he was lying in, curled up in a very uncomfortable way.

"I think it's your lateral sizer." Schmidt suggested. Cassy chuckled lightly. "Rotator cuff?" Nick tried to sit up, screaming in pain, which made her smile fall.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I can taste my spine..." Nick groaned.

"We were playing football and Jess was ruining it." Schmidt stated, folding his arms. Jess frowned, folding her own arms defensively.

"I tackled him and there was a crack." She mumbled, turning away. Cassy sighed.

"Where does it hurt?" She asked, turning to Nick.

"Everywhere." He replied. She raised an eyebrow. She knelt down beside him, and his breathing increased dramatically. "No! No! I don't have insurance!"

"Nick, you think I'm gonna charge you?" Cassy asked, laughing lightly. He scowled. "Okay, can you stand?" He whimpered a little bit as he got his legs beneath him, bracing his back with one arm as he stood. He whined a little, and Cassy made a face. "Okay, come on, let's get in the car."

-

Cassy supported Nick as best she could as they walked through the parking lot, and a pair of paramedics helped lift him onto a gurney.