CHAPTER 7

Front, back, left and right.

In order to secure all four directions, four people were the bare minimum required.

Y/N, Hyunseo, Mister Song and finally, Mister Kim. A single person leaving now would result in a gap within the field of vision.

Kim wiped the sweat off his forehead ans asked urgently.

"Y/N, just what is going on here? Explain it to me properly."

"We'll make it as long as we wait here! Only until all the blue flames are extinguished!"

Y/N spat out everything she had deduced so far. Kim nodded his head as his ears perked up.

Y/N quickly ended her explanation and added one more thing at the end.

"Remember, everyone here can get out alive."

The laws of this chamber always left open a path for one's survival. The final law would not deviate from that. Y/N was certain of no one else needing to die as long as the remaining people trusted each other.

"....."

Too bad, Kim's thoughts were quite different from the youth's. The older Hunter asked hesitantly.

"Look here, Y/N... You could be right on this one, but.... Could the door close shut instead when the timer runs out"

"....."

Y/N couldn't answer that one.

She came to her conclusion after considering several variables, but until the result was in, she couldn't be 100% certain of anything.

However, what Kim wanted was a definite assurance. Rather than an uncertain promise of everyone's survival of his own self had proved to be far more alluring in the end.

"I'm sorry about this, but.... I don't think I can stay here anymore."

"Ahjussi!"

"Sorry."

With that parting word, Kim stepped down from the altar. He then ignored Y/N's urgent calling and ran towards the door. He stopped and looked for a brief moment just outside the door, but Kim did not step back inside the chamber again.

Y/N gritted her teeth.

"God damn it!!"

She had saved the lives of others, but what she got in return was definitely not something like gratefulness or friendship.

Her entire body shuddered from the pain of betrayal.

Just as she suspected, as soon as Kim had abandoned them, a gap within the surveillance had been created. It was impossible for three people to guard all four directions.

And so, the statues positioned in the blindspots began creeping closer to the altar.

The encirclement of the stone statue was gradually tightening, Song took a look around and then, spoke to Y/N and Hyunseo.

"Both of you, you should leave now."

His voice was full of resignation. Y/N looked at the old man.

"But, ahjussi.....?"

"Just as Kim had said, I was the one who dragged us all in here. If someone has to remain behind, then it'd be only right that I'm the one."

"But, still!!"

"You two with a better future ahead of you should be the ones to survive today."

Song began smiling, then. He was thinking of these two young people's hearts as they would have to abandon him here.