CHAPTER 20

When the Hunters tried to leave all at the same time, Winter formed a confused expression and quickly asked them.

“Are you telling, me and Y/N will stay here in the boss room?”

Hyunsuk smiled with his eyes and replied.

“The bastard is yet to wake up even though we've been talking loudly for a while now. So, I'm sure nothing’s going to happen here. Well, there are some things I wanna speak to my boys, too, so we'll take a short smoke break as well. But, don't worry, it won't take long.”

Y/N listened to Hyunsuk’s rather detailed explanations and smirked inwardly.

‘You've finally revealed your true colours, huh. But all of you are leaving at the same time? Aren't you fools taking us way too lightly?’

They were looking down on her because of her low rank, of course.

As Y/N expected him to, Hyunsuk finally began to move. It was slightly different from the youth's expectation, though.

It had been four years since she became a Hunter. During that time, she had met many Hunters. One of them was an ahjussi named mister Oh.

He had retired from the life of a freelancer, but still showed up now and then to help out with the Association’s work.

“Be careful of Lizards.”

Mister Oh used to say that rather often.

When one participated in raids, one would inevitably encounter a dangerous situation.

When such an event happened, some crooked, immortal Hunters would try to sacrifice someone who had been fighting alongside them until then, with some flimsy pretext of them not being in the same team, to begin with, or that the other party was simply weaker than they were.

All just to buy themselves some time for their safe escape.

It was exactly like a lizard cutting off its own tail and running away.

‘Cutting its tail off....’

Mister Oh took to calling those types of Hunters 'Lizards', and such actions as cutting of one's tail.

The regulation stated that in order to enter a Gate ranker C, the minimum number of participants had to be ten. Yet, Hyunsuk’s team only had eight members.

‘I'm sure you already know how that it's not easy to hire a Healer if you're running your own assault party. Well, we've been doing things this way until now, so It'll be fine.’

Indeed, he stuck to only eight members, even though his team had entered countless Gates ranker C– so much so that he could say 'this way until now'

‘They obviously have no reason to fill the last two spots.’

They needed a tail that they could cut off of any given moment, after all. There was a reason why they were willing to accept anyone whether it was a Hunter ranked E or a newbie.

And now....

Hyunsuk had decided to abandon both Y/N and Winter for a slightly different reason than usual.

‘But, it's a good thing for me.’

Y/N had figured out Hyunsuk’s intentions pretty early on, but chose to say nothing. This was what she wanted, actually.

However, unlike Y/N who was full of confidence, Winter was quite different as she only started her work as a Hunter today.

Winter spoke with a voice full of worries.