CHAPTER 9

“Maybe, you hurt your head really bad?”

The younger sister stood at a distance away and asked Y/N, prompting her to shake her head vigorously.

“No, that's not it.”

Even though she denied it, Y/N's younger sibling, Karina's eyes remained suspicious.

“Are you really okay?”

“Yes, I'm telling you the truth.”

Karina blankly swept her gaze all over Y/N, before she came close while her breathing became uneven, angry. And then, as soon as Y/N assumed a defensive posture, she began punching her in all the unguarded parts.

“I told you to stop getting hurt!! You don't have any idea how worried I was?!”

“....... I'm sorry.”

“Other people walk away fine, but how come it's only you who gets hurt all the time?!”

“....... Sorry.”

The strength behind Karina's punches gradually seeped away. She soon stopped, and as her head fell, began crying. Y/N slowly patted the back of her sobbing sister.

Her own nostrils stung quite a bit then.

‘I was thinking of leaving behind this kid alone and dying, wasn't I.....’

What a relief that was she made it out alive.

When she looked back, there had been way too many brushes with death for comfort back then.

It was as if she had experienced one hell of a terrifying nightmare.

Y/N's gaze shifted over so slightly towards the words floating in the air.

‘It still feels like I haven't completely woken up from that nightmare just yet, doesn't it?’

There were so many nights she couldn't understand.

But, so what?

The most important thing was that she came back alive, and got to see her little sister again.

Thankfully, her strong-willed sister stopped crying adter a short while. Unfortunately for her, though, her sister's nagging continued on for over one hour afterwards.

“Do you hear me? If you get hurt one more time, I'm going to give up on studying, find a job, and make sure you don't work as a Hunter ever again.”

Karina's sharp glare didn't really suit her pretty face, but that was a biological trait she had shared with her older sister.

“Okay, okay, I hear you ”

Y/N nodded her head as if she'd given up.

Only after she was able to exact her assurance several times more did she display a hint of satisfaction, and stood up from the seat.

“You goung somewhere?”

“Yeah. To school. I got permission to leave so I could check up on you. So I gotta go back.”

Y/N nodded her head.

“Right, the university entrance exams are next year.”

She might never have received a private tutoring nor did she ever attend extra classes, but she always got ranked within the top ten in her school until now.

Karina dreamed of becoming a doctor.

Only until a few years ago, she just loved to waste time on video games and stuff like that, but then, after their mother fell ill, she swore to become a doctor and never stoppes studying since.