CHAPTER II

When Taehyun came to, he struggled to open his eyes. When he did, he closed his eyes again right away. The sight of colors was too much for him. He felt weak. His head was pounding.

"Taehyun," a voice called gently. "Kang Taehyun."

It sounded so far away.

After a few minutes, Taehyun managed to open his eyes, wincing as he did. When he could see clearly again, he saw Beomgyu sitting in a chair in front of him, the other's eyes never leaving him.

He could still see colors.

He looked around, seeing that he was in the nurse's office and let out a soft gasp.

There was a painting of the ocean on the wall and he stood up, faltering and catching himself on the cot he had been laying on. Beomgyu immediately got up to help him stand. Taehyun couldn't care less if he looked like a complete idiot.

The ocean was beautiful.

"That... that's what the ocean looks like?" Taehyun spoke quietly.

"You've never seen the ocean before?"

"My ocean was different," he replied.

Beomgyu's hand traced the waves. "It's blue. There's a lot of different shades."

Taehyun stared at the painting, his eyes watching carefully as Beomgyu continued running his finger along the painting.

"Blue..." he murmured.

Taehyun reached out to touch the painting. When he did, the colors slowly disappeared, fading back to grey.

He spun around and grabbed Beomgyu by his uniform jacket.

"Take off your mask!" he demanded.

Beomgyu pried Taehyun's hands off him.

"You just passed out, Taehyun."

"I won't pass out again!" Taehyun insisted, reaching for Beomgyu's mask.

Beomgyu grabbed his wrist to stop him.

"Another time, pretty boy," Beomgyu said softly. "You need to rest."

Anger bubbled inside of him and Taehyun stalked out of the nurse's office, snatching his backpack off the floor. Beomgyu went after him and grabbed him by the shoulder. Taehyun shoved his hand away.

"Don't touch me! You don't even know me!"

"That's not true." Beomgyu's voice went soft. "You fainted because you had a color rush. That means you're a Mono. And I'm your Probe."

Taehyun froze.

Of course.

That was the only way he could have seen color in the first place.

He remembered how he had behaved just a few seconds ago, acting aggressive and desperate to someone he didn't even know just to see colors again.

His breath hitched and he ran.

"Kang Taehyun!"

Taehyun ran without looking back. He only stopped when he was safe again in his own home. He panted, trying to catch his breath. He felt even dizzier than before. He collapsed on his bed, clutching his heart, feeling it beat faster and faster by the second.

He had never thought of experiencing a color rush or meeting his Probe. He hadn't wanted to.

The first thing he did was call his brother.

Yeonjun picked up quickly.

"Taehyun? What's wrong? Are you okay?"

I met my Probe at school. I have to transfer now.