CHAPTER X

Taehyun had still been on his laptop when Yeonjun lightly knocked on his open door to get his attention.

"I have to head back to the station," Yeonjun said, sounding apologetic. "Detective Lee might have found a lead to our suspect on the Jeju murder. I don't know when I'll be back."

He felt bad for having to leave his brother again when he just came back from an investigation.

"There's kimbap on the table. Eat some before you go."

As always, Taehyun was understanding. He was old enough to know that work was work, and sometimes it couldn't be helped.

"You sure you'll be okay?"

"I'll be fine," Taehyun assured. Yeonjun smiled and ruffled Taehyun's hair before leaving. A peaceful quiet settled throughout the house as Taehyun continued reading through articles online.

He saw a few with his brother's name and scoffed at them. They were all rumors about Yeonjun's associations, claiming he had snuck his way up to one of the highest detective ranks.

What a lie, Taehyun thought spitefully.

Yeonjun had had to work twice as hard, especially since he had to support himself and Taehyun. He had picked himself up from his grief and found a job. Even if their parents weren't around anymore, bills needed to be paid and life went on.

Taehyun wanted to get a job so Yeonjun wouldn't have to work as hard, but Yeonjun refused.

"You have a lot of time before you're an adult. Enjoy it while you can," he would always insist.

Taehyun leaned back against his chair as he closed his eyes and sighed. He dozed off until there was suddenly a sharp knock on the door, causing him to flinch, his eyes snapping open.

Taehyun didn't move, thinking maybe whoever it was would leave soon. But the knocking persisted.

"Kang Taehyun!"

Fear ran down Taehyun's spine.

What the hell?

The knocking persisted, getting louder and harder as if the door would soon break down.

Taehyun reached for his phone, panic overtaking him.

He quickly dialed his brother and waited. After a few minutes, there was no response so Taehyun left a voicemail.

"Hyung, someone's at the door. They won't leave," Taehyun whispered.

He turned off all the lights and made sure that all the curtains were closed. There was another slam against the door, as if something was being thrown against it.

He reached for his phone again but quickly withdrew his hand.

Don't! Don't do it!

Ignoring the voices, Taehyun grabbed his phone and called another number, hoping that he would answer.

__

Beomgyu was still cleaning when his phone rang. Once he started it, it was hard to stop. He paused for a moment to check his phone.

It was Taehyun.

It was rare for the younger boy to be reaching out to him. Usually, Beomgyu would have to coax him through text or call him first. He quickly picked up the phone.

"Hey," he said warmly.

"Beom, there's someone outside my house. Yeonjun is at the station and he's not answering his phone. Whoever is trying to get in is still outside."

Beomgyu froze.

"Where are you right now?" he asked, his voice wavering ever so slightly.

"In my brother's room."

The older took a deep breath as he tried to think.

"Stay where you are and keep the door locked. I'm coming."

The call ended and Beomgyu pulled on his jacket. He looked at his mask on the counter and hesitated before grabbing it and shoving it into his pocket as he locked his apartment door. The cold wind whipped through his dark hair as he ran to the nearest bus stop. Panic filled Beomgyu's chest. His Mono was in danger.

People stared at him as he ran through the streets, but he didn't care. He managed to board the bus before it pulled away. Beomgyu slumped down into his seat, his hands shaking as he carefully looped the bands of his mask around his ears.

Taehyun can handle himself for a little while, Beomgyu thought. He's smart. He'll be okay.

He'll be fine.

The thought didn't stop Beomgyu's shaking hands.

__

"Kang Taehyun," the voice taunted. "I know you're in there. I saw you in the window this afternoon."

Someone had been watching him? Taehyun's muscles were frozen with fear as the door continued to be pounded on. It would make sense if someone was after Yeonjun, since he was a police officer. The police were constantly being threatened. Someone was bound to follow him home one day, but they were after Taehyun. Was it because of his relation with Yeonjun? Or was it because someone had found out he was a Mono? Even if someone had found out, who? He had been careful.

Maybe he had slipped up while with Beomgyu and someone had caught them.

"I know you're alone. I saw Yeonjun leave the house. You're all on your own." A dark chuckle followed. "Maybe I should play with him instead. Seems like the easy type."

Anger burned through Taehyun's veins. No one insulted his brother.

There was a slam against the door. Taehyun took a deep breath before going into Yeonjun's closet and unlocking the safe. The password was too easy to guess. The date when their parents had first met. 03/04. He reached into the safe and grabbed a baton, his shaking hand. He ran downstairs to the door and threw it open, holding the baton in front of him.

"Get the fuck out of here!"

There was silence. There were no crickets humming or birds chirping. A shadow emerged from the darkness. Taehyun raised the baton, ready to strike, when he felt himself pulled back. An arm wrapped around his throat, pressing against it. Taehyun let out a choked gasp.

"I knew you'd come," a voice sneered, pressing harder against his throat.

Taehyun's vision faded in and out as he tried to stay conscious. He clawed at his attacker's arm, digging his nails into the other's skin. Taehyun slammed the back of his head against the other's face, causing the attacker to release him and let out a scream. Taehyun scrambled onto the ground, coughing as oxygen started filling his lungs again. Something hard hit the back of his head and his vision went blurry before he succumbed to the darkness.