CHAPTER XI

"Your call has been forwarded to Taehyunie ♡'s voicemail-"

Beomgyu hung up, resisting the urge to toss his phone out the bus window. Why wasn't Taehyun answering? He anxiously looked out the window. The one time he was in a hurry and the bus couldn't seem to be any slower. He had run out of patience. He pressed the button on the wall next to him, letting the driver know that he would be getting off. The second the bus stopped, Beomgyu ran straight to Taehyun's house. He shoved his way past the gate that surrounded the residence and froze. The lock was broken. He glanced at the house. The lights were on and the door was closed. There was a figure sitting on the front porch. Beomgyu ran as fast as he could. His feet were screaming at him to stop as his lungs burned, but he couldn't stop.

Not until he knew Taehyun was safe.

"Taehyun!" he cried out.

His heart clenched in fear.

Beomgyu wasn't looking where he was going and he tripped. He let out a pained grunt as his face hit the dirt. He felt a rock scrape against his face. He scrambled back onto his feet, ignoring the stinging pain he felt on his face and palms. He ran to the front porch, collapsing onto his knees when he made it there. Then, he went pale.

Taehyun leaned against the front door, blood smeared on his face and clothes. There was a note laying on his chest. His eyes were closed. Beomgyu grabbed his wrist, searching for his pulse. His heart was pounding. He found the younger's pulse and let out a shaky sigh of relief.

He's alive. He's okay.

He carefully removed the note on Taehyun's chest and read it.

Filthy Mono.

You should beware of the monster you're raising, Choi Yeonjun.

Beomgyu's eyes narrowed as he crumpled the paper and threw it as far as he could. No one slandered his Mono. He focused his attention on Taehyun, cleaning the blood – he quickly realized it was only food coloring, thank goodness – as much as he could. Beomgyu felt sick in his stomach. Who could have done this?

Taehyun groaned softly and Beomgyu froze.

"Taehyunie," he whispered. He carefully cupped the younger's cheek, threading his fingers through Taehyun's hair.

Taehyun slowly opened his eyes, grimacing as he did. His eyes widened when he saw his Probe.

"Beom?" he croaked.

Tears stung Beomgyu's eyes as they fell down his cheeks. Beomgyu rested his chin on the younger's shoulder, a shaky sob escaping his lips.

"Why are you the one crying?" Taehyun teased, his voice weak. "I'm the one that got beat up."

"I was so scared," Beomgyu said, holding the younger tighter. "I thought I was going to lose you."

Taehyun leaned back so he could see Beomgyu's face and carefully wiped away the older's tears. Beomgyu's hair was disheveled and there was a fresh scrape under his left eye, just above his mask. Taehyun ran his finger over the scrape, seeing pain flicker in Beomgyu's eyes.

"Are you okay?"

Beomgyu leaned into Taehyun's touch and traced the younger's cheek.

"I'm fine. Are you okay?"

Taehyun nodded.

His head throbbed slightly but other than that, he felt fine.

"Come inside," he offered. "I'll disinfect your injury for you."