CHAPTER XII

Yeonjun sat on the steps of the front porch, staring out into the dark. The other detectives had long gone to the station. He needed to leave to meet them soon, but he needed some time alone.

He glanced inside the house and sighed. He stood up before going inside. Taehyun was sitting on the window seat in his room, staring out into the darkness as Yeonjun had just seconds ago. Yeonjun smiled to himself. They were different, but they were also alike in certain ways.

"Taehyun," Yeonjun called.

The younger immediately glanced his way. He had changed his clothes and all of the blood — the fake blood — but that didn't make Yeonjun feel less sick when he thought about it, was gone, which made Yeonjun feel a little better.

"I have to go."

Taehyun just smiled. "Okay, hyung. I'm probably just going to sleep."

Yeonjun walked towards the younger and hugged him tightly. Taehyun could sense that his brother was upset.

"Hyung, I'll be fine."

Yeonjun shook his head. "After this case, I'll take a break. I'm not going to quit... but I just need some quiet after all this. Some time to be with you."

For the second time in years, Taehyun wanted to cry. He was trying so hard to stay strong for Yeonjun, maybe too strong, but Yeonjun was already stressed out from work. All he needed to do was stay out of trouble, but he couldn't even do that. Instead, he made things worse for Yeonjun.

"Baek is already on you for calling them in. Just go back to the station, hyung," Taehyun insisted.

"Are you sure?" the older asked quietly. Taehyun nodded, forcing another smile on his face. He watched as his brother left and the moment he was gone, his smile immediately dropped. He let a sob escape his lips. He pressed his knees against his chest and he cried quietly. The last time he had cried, he had been in Beomgyu's arms. He wanted to feel like that again. Safe... loved.

He wiped his tears away and breathed in deeply, pulling himself together. He thought of Beomgyu lying next to him with his arms wrapped around him.

He glanced back out the window.

Did he love Beomgyu?

He still wasn't sure of his feelings yet. He could barely keep himself together. He was still afraid of hurting Beomgyu and losing control.

He rested his forehead against the cold glass and closed his eyes. He could do this.

He just needed to take one step at a time.

Beomgyu opened the door to his apartment, moving as quietly as he could. The apartment was dark and quiet. Once he was sure the coast was clear, he made his way inside and carefully shut the door behind him.

"How was your walk?"

Beomgyu froze.

His uncle sat on the couch in the dark, staring directly at his nephew.

"It was fine," Beomgyu answered, trying not to act suspicious. "It was cold... I should have grabbed a jacket before I left." He forced out a laugh that faded quickly.

Seowon stood up from the couch to look his nephew in the eye.

"Beomgyu." His voice was serious. "I don't mind you going out. Believe me, I need to every now and then too. But you can't be doing it late at night again. Do you know how worried I was?"

Beomgyu looked down. He hated upsetting his uncle.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Tae. It won't happen again."

Seowon pulled Beomgyu into a hug.

"I know you won't. You're a good kid, Beomgyu."

He ruffled the boy's hair.

"Go get some sleep. You'll need it for tomorrow."

"What are we doing tomorrow?" Beomgyu asked, confused.

Seowon grinned mischievously, as if he were an eighteen-year-old himself. Despite being forty years old, he still had the youthful looks of a young adult in their twenties. "You'll see. Goodnight, Beomgyu."

Beomgyu met his smile.

"Goodnight!"

He went to his room and quickly changed into a pair of joggers and a white shirt. His back hit the mattress and he let out a sigh as he glanced up at the ceiling.

Despite being exhausted, his mind was swarming with thoughts.

Beomgyu could feel his heart practically pounding out of his chest as he thought of Taehyun.

He thought of how nervous Taehyun had been when he had asked him to come over. Beomgyu smiled at the thought. That memory seemed like it had happened ages ago, when it had only happened yesterday. Or had it been the day before yesterday?

He grabbed his phone to check the time. It was past midnight. He stared back up at the ceiling.

Just a day ago, he had been in Taehyun's bed, lulling him to sleep. It felt so peaceful... so perfect just to hold Taehyun in his arms.

Suddenly, he remembered how he had held Taehyun in his arms less than an hour ago and his heart clenched at the thought. His mind then drifted to the note directed to Yeonjun and Taehyun. From what Taehyun had told him and what he had seen, the brothers were close. Both of them would risk everything for the other. It was another thing he loved about Taehyun. He was selfless and put others before himself. It wasn't an easy thing to do.

Beomgyu sighed again, his thoughts filled with the younger. He felt Taehyun's fingers running across his face, his lips ghosting Beomgyu's.

He smiled to himself, his cheeks getting warm. He reached for his phone again and texted Taehyun.

Are you awake?

The younger's response was quick.

No.

Beomgyu felt another smile tug at his lips.

Can I call you?

To his surprise, Taehyun called first.

"I thought you weren't awake," Beomgyu teased.

Taehyun chuckled on the other end. Beomgyu's heart skipped a beat and he felt his cheeks grow hotter.

"Did I ever tell you that you have the best timing?" Taehyun asked.

"No, I don't think you have," Beomgyu answered, smiling.

"I was thinking about you," Taehyun said softly.

Beomgyu sat up. Something felt off. Taehyun sounded so... sad.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Not really," Taehyun admitted. "But I will be."

Taehyun wasn't one to show vulnerability. That was one of the first things Beomgyu learned about him. But when he did... he loved that Taehyun trusted him enough to be vulnerable around him. To be real. To truly express his thoughts and his feelings.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too," Beomgyu breathed.

There was a silence between them before Taehyun spoke again.

"I should get some sleep... we'll talk tomorrow?"

"Yeah," Beomgyu agreed. "Tomorrow."

Taehyun hung up and Beomgyu placed his phone back down on his nightstand and rested his head against his pillow, grinning so wide, his cheeks hurt as he pulled his blanket over his shoulders.

Tomorrow.

He couldn't wait.