5 - Here With You

Right here with you, I'm fine with only this... ~ Owaranai Uta (An Endless Song), Hikasa Youko

xxxxxx

Things were proceeding greatly with the preparations for the war with the Telmarines. At least, Amy was thinking that way. But for the past few days, there was something that she was quite sure won't go the way she wanted it to.

Dealing with Peter's temper. She did notice that the High King seemed to have lost his cool at some point that arguing or even debating with him would be pointless. She couldn't quite place it, but something bad would happen if this would keep up.

Then again, it wasn't like she had any right to point out something like that to the High King himself when his siblings couldn't even reason with him. Especially Lucy who truly believed that they had to find Aslan in order for the Narnians to end the war and save that world before the battle could even start. But even if both of them were considered part of the royalty and had the same standing within the royal court, Amy could feel that reasoning out with a confused and frustrated King Peter would only lead to an argument that she'd rather not face.

At the moment, she was thinking if she would even participate in any of Peter's plans to attack the enemy grounds. If the plan did proceed and ready to be executed, she was certain she'd rather stay behind and guard Aslan's How.

"I thought you're already sleeping."

The familiar voice did distract her from thinking any more. But she didn't turn to or spare a glance at the person who said that.

"I can't sleep, and I don't know if I'd be able to," Amy said truthfully. And then she took a deep breath. "Did I disappoint you today?"

"What do you mean?"

She turned to face Edmund who stood beside her before she knew it. "I wasn't talking or giving my opinions with regards to the plans of conducting a surprise attack at the castle. I should've participated on that and yet ―"

"I know what you mean and I can understand that. But Peter does have a point ― at least in trying to do something to end this war. But each monarch has their own opinion on the matter. And right now, my brother thinks it's been so long and we've waited long enough. Any more waiting and we could be defeated before we know it."

"But conducting a surprise attack is recklessness! No matter where you put it. And you can't guarantee victory on this. I can't seem to tell the reason why, but I don't think the odds are in our favor about this attack."

To a frustrated Amy, blurting out like that to someone like Edmund was something she never thought she could ever do. But for the past few days that he stayed by her side and truly gave them the chance to get to know each other, doing so became somewhat natural on her part.

Edmund sighed not long after, cutting off the tensed silence between them and snapping Amy out of her frustrated thoughts.

"But you know that I can't leave my brother. I have to help him. Or at least, I have to make sure he doesn't act reckless anymore than this."

With a sigh, Amy faced the Just King who looked like he had made his own resolve on the matter. "You have to know that I'm not going with you. I have to stay here and guard the other Narnians who will have to wait for your safe return."

"Well, I'm not asking you to. Knowing you, I'm sure you have to think of other plans if this one... don't go well as Peter would hope it will."

Amy was worried about the whole thing, and she couldn't deny that. She was sure Edmund noticed that, as well. But at the moment, she couldn't even work her mind to think of a way out of this. Even with the desire to defy Peter, she didn't know how to actually do so. Well, not talking to him was one of them. But it seemed as if it wasn't enough.