Chapter Eighteen

Jaemin's head was still in the clouds when he wandered into school the following day, a phantom smile on his face as he felt his hands tingle slightly, remembering Jeno's touch as they danced.

Such warmness and tenderness had lulled him into a deep sleep last night, a smile still on his lips as his eyes finally fluttered shut. And today, knowing he was going to see Jeno again, his heart felt so light.

He felt like a fool- a fool in love.

And despite everything he had learnt about this town, about his friends, his heart was under no confusion.

"God, how do you look so alive?" Donghyuck whines, his head shoved into his locker, trying to savour the shadows and somewhat quieter atmosphere compared to the bright lights and energetic children moving around them.

Jaemin smiles softly.

"Long night?"

And Donghyuck only scoffs as he retreats out of his locker, eyes squinting as he turns to look at his friend.

"You have no idea" He huffs, cradlings his textbooks to his chest, "I feel like death"

At this, Jaemin's eyebrows furrow in concern, "How much dancing did you do?" He asks, reaching for his own locker but keeping his gaze on his friend who lets out an impressive yawn.

"Enough that my grandma stormed into my room this morning and forced an entire pot of herbal tea down my throat" Donghyuck groans, before inhaling deeply, turning to face Jaemin, a sly smile on his face as he no doubt recounts the events of last night, "But it was worth it"

And just as he winks to Jaemin, the sound of the school bell clanking noisily has both boys letting out a disappointed huff.

"Already?" Donghyuck complains, but Jaemin manages a smile as he links their arms together, pulling Donghyuck into his side, becoming a sort of pillar of support for his friend.

"Don't worry" Jaemin reassures as they begin walking to sync- well, Jaemin leading both of them, somewhat clumsily, towards their first class, trying his best to weave in and out of the sea of students swarmed around them, "We only have my dad first, I think the class is pretty straightforward today"

But Donghyuck just groans, "You're only saying that because you're Japanese"

To which Jaemin lets slip a soft laugh in response as he steers them into their desired classroom.

He has to take care as Donghyuck has latched onto his arm, holding on for dear life. He seems so out of it that he nearly barrels into a desk. It causes Jaemin to wonder about what time Donghyuck's head must've finally hit his pillow.

"Plus I've been reading through so many spell books recently, Korean has become hard enough to speak and that's my mother tongue"

At this Jaemin frowns softly, "Is that because of the teke teke?" But even as he asks the question, he already knows the answer.

"She's an ancient creature that needs an equally ancient spell to subdue her" Donghyuck hums, sporting a grateful smile on his face as Jaemin delivers them to their seats, "I'll get there eventually though"

And just a heartbeat after Donghyuck sinks down into his seat, Jaemin follows, keeping a careful eye on his friend, "I don't doubt that you will... But just make sure you're looking after yourself, okay?"

Donghyuck seems to nod, acknowledging the concern before a group of students pile through the doors to the classroom, and his eyes become transfixed on the door, searching for someone in particular. When he doesn't find them, his gaze returns to Jaemin, offering him a tired smile before he bows his head, pressing his forehead to his desktop, and taking a moment to just close his eyes.