Chapter Twenty One

Jaemin was feeling just as shaky as the foundations of their plan for tonight.

There were too many 'what-ifs', too many uncertainties.

Where his friends were crowded around talking strategy and possibilities, Jaemin needed air, he just needed a moment to breathe.

Every other word was to do with the spirit messenger or the teke teke- danger here, unknown threats there, as a nervous energy seemed to pulse throughout the room, everyone doing their best to hide their true feelings.

Jaemin wasn't apart of this world, not really. He couldn't contribute to this plan, to tonight. He'll probably end up being told to go back home, to wait for any news there, to pray that everything goes according to plan- the plan that was still being devised in the middle of Donghyuck's bedroom, by a group of teenagers about to face ancient powers beyond their knowledge.

It didn't sit right with him. Not at all.

He was no Seer, but an ugly feeling took root in his chest. He couldn't bare the listen to another word- he needed out.

No one notices when he slips from the room, all too caught up in the details of their plan, arguing over what's best. He takes this opportunity to escape the room and follow the stairs down to the kitchen. He didn't have a particular destination in mind, figuring he'd just take a minute and sit somewhere until they're done and the meeting disbands, but then a voice is calling from the kitchen...

"Have you been kicked out of the super secret meeting also?"

Jaemin's eyebrows furrow as he follows the sound, padding lightly through the kitchen and towards the large doors that open out into Donghyuck's garden and the sea of trees beyond.

Facing the wilderness was Jisung.

"Of sorts" Jaemin mutters, taking his time as he crosses the room, moving towards the boy slowly, "I thought you had gone home"

Jisung just shakes his head, turning around to face Jaemin, and now that he was in the presence of slightly unfamiliar company, a shy smile worked its way across his face, "Waiting to say thank you" he explains, holding up a glass vial to Jaemin, full of a deep green liquid.

Jaemin must've made a face because Jisung's smile widens, "I would say it tastes better than it looks, but it doesn't"

As he's now inducted himself into conversation, Jisung leaves his post by Donghyuck's back door, and instead perches on one of the wooden kitchen seats, his hands immediately going to his phone that had been set down previously. He checks his screen to see if any messages had come through, but by the slight droop in his posture, Jaemin is guessing nothing had.

"Waiting on somebody?" He asks, wondering if Jisung would be in the mood to discuss personal messages to a stranger- luckily, he was.

"I was just texting Chenle, but he's stopped responding..." Jisung makes a face before he places his phone back down onto the table, "Goodie two shoes, he's probably already finishing the homework we only got set today"

And at the mention of the other boy, Jaemin can't help but inquire, "How is Chenle? You know, with all of this..."

"Nervous" Jisung answers immediately, almost as if he didn't even need to think back to his friend's behaviour, "He tries not to be, especially around me... I think he's afraid that he'll upset me or something"

"Will he?" Jaemin asks, and there's a flicker of emotion that crosses Jisung's face, that Jaemin doesn't have the time to decipher... But then Jisung begins trying to put it into words.

"Honestly?" He asks tentatively, looking towards Jaemin who gives him a soft nod, "I'm just as scared as he is. I wasn't born into this like Mark, Jeno or Sungchan... I don't know what I'm doing. I mean, the guys are helping, and I'm so glad I have them... but I miss being normal"