Chapter Thirty One

He was almost sure his eyelashes were crystallising, becoming home to beautiful yet cold snowflakes as the temperature dropped below freezing.

But of course, as he was shivering, half-way to turning into an ice sculpture that would be showcased at some fancy party, Donghyuck looked fine. A little paler than usual, but he did not seem fazed by the coldness surrounding them.

"You must be ready" He whispers, his voice hushed and urgent. Jaemin fights the urge to reach out to him, knowing this was all a dream, "You must stay alert. From when Chenle opened the door between the spirit and mortal realm, you don't know how many spirits were able to slip through before the door closed again. You don't know who slipped through."

If Jaemin's body wasn't already numb, his heart may have reacted to such words.

It was as though rather than his mind straying into the spirit realm, passing through the barriers between the worlds as though it were nothing, his body had managed to do it too, for he had never felt coldness like this.

"The band of spirits hunting me... Do you mean to say that they have slipped through?"

Only it seems that in death, Donghyuck's cryptic streak only continued, "I'm saying that you should be careful... and look after that crystal of yours"

And just when Jaemin's eyebrows furrow, confused by the sudden mention of his crystal, Donghyuck's eyes widen, his words rushed as he exclaims, "You must go! Quick, quick, before they sense you!"

With sudden whiplash from Donghyuck's change of tone, Jaemin attempts to step towards him, concerned for them both. But Donghyuck's hands are quickly outstretched, looking as though they were about to push Jaemin's chest back, only before he could feel the impact, he's stumbling from his dreams, his eyes snapping open and his body immediately warming.

It was as though Donghyuck had pushed him back to consciousness, for he was now inside his room.

He was home... But his hands were still so cold.

He knew it wasn't possible to physically travel between realms without a portal, but the tingling in his fingers sent his mind into a confused frenzy.

Usually he was the one to reach out to Donghyuck, but this time it was the messenger summoning him to talk.

There was a reason, there always is with Donghyuck. So, what did he want to say? Was it to warn Jaemin that danger is near? Would he have spilled such secrets had they not faced the threat of discovery? And who or what had him so panicked?

Jaemin didn't know. He didn't know why it was so cold there either.

If he didn't know any better he'd think Donghyuck was in malam with all that darkness and icy despair. But he couldn't be. Jaemin knew he wasn't. Donghyuck had to be in Purus. It must just be his mind playing tricks on him... Perhaps this wasn't Donghyuck calling on him at all, perhaps it was just a dream.

Jaemin ran his hand through his messy hair, pulling on the roots slightly in frustration.

He didn't know much, but what he did know is that he didn't need to be psychic to know he was about to get a splitting headache with overanalysing such a dream.

From downstairs he can hear Yumi giggling loudly, and frowning, he goes to bury his head under his pillow as a familiar throbbing already begins to settle in the base of his skull-- but then he hears a deep voice answers her, returning her excitement, and he stops.

It had been too long since he had heard that voice.

Immediately he's scrambling free from his sheets, clumsily landing on his feet as a smile spreads across his face.