Chapter Two

"Mi, can we discuss one of the many other possibilities for today's wardrobe?"

Before even entering the kitchen, Jaemin can hear the exhaustion dripping from his father's voice- the words were drawn out and heavy. From their late arrival last night and even later meal of takeout pizza, none of them got as much sleep as they would've liked for their first days at school.

"But I like it, and teddy likes it, right, teddy?"

Turning the corner and into the kitchen, Jaemin can't help but smile as his younger sister clutches her teddy bear for dear life, her big eyes looking up at Yuta as she tries to plead with him.

"And you look beautiful but Yumi, I don't think it's all that practical, especially at break time when you'll be playing with the other children."

The object in question was a rather large plastic tiara placed crookedly upon her head. As she shook her head violently at her father's proposal, it seemed to fall more, "but what if they want to play 'princesses and fairies' too?"

Jaemin crossed the room to where his sister was sitting crossed-legged at the table, only to imitate her seating habit after placing his writing journal on the side.

He was up until the early hours of the morning reading through his previous entries, studying them as he tried to make sense of what he saw when he was in the car yesterday, how he felt. And when he had slid his journal under his pillow, fed-up and tired, sleep took that little bit longer than usual to come to him. Perhaps he was just nervous about today, but there was this dull ache that had settled at the base of his skull that had seemed to linger from his adventure the other day.

"Nana..." Yumi whines, bringing his attention back into the room, to which he places a soft kiss on her forehead before doing the same to her teddy.

"Mi, dad is right. You wouldn't want to lose it, would you?" From his words, Jaemin sees her deflate, her shoulders sinking as she looks at the teddy bear cradled in her arms. At this moment, Jaemin is reminded of how young she is.

She sighs dramatically and Jaemin looks to his dad, who is watching them both with fond eyes, "I guess... but Nana, when we get home, will you play 'princesses and fairies' with me?"

It was a silly game their mother had made up for them both- a game of make-believe. They'd pretend they were off in another world, one that didn't abide by the laws and physics of this one, one that was special, like them, she'd say, like all mothers do.

Yumi, who always dreamt of being royalty, was the ruler of this magical land. Hidden by enticing folklore, her parents would use this fantasy world to teach her leadership qualities and compassion- what to do if her teddy bears weren't getting along with her dolls or if the enchanted forest came under threat. She'd resolve these conflicts with a sparkly plastic crown on her head and a bright smile on her face.

Jaemin, rather than ruling with her, was part of a race of fairies. He fought such a classification at first, but Yumi decreed that these fairies had magical powers- they were cool fairies that would use their powers to help bring balance and restore peace to the kingdom. Eventually, seeing how happy Yumi was, Jaemin gave in.

They'd play for hours, making up new rules, dreaming up new creatures. Even now, after years have passed since they first started, it was an easy means of escape, and for Jaemin, it was less physically and mentally straining than retreating into his mind.

At Yumi's request, Jaemin nods, feigning a serious expression, "It would be my honour, your Highness."

Pleased with his answer, Yumi lets out a high-pitched squeal before she's wiggling in her seat. Her crown is already forgotten as she draws her teddy even closer, squeezing it tightly.