Chapter Twenty Five

Spinning on his back leg, Jaemin turns to meet Yuta's staff, his arms strong, his stance firm, as he blocks the blow. Letting out a grunt as he uses his strength to push Yuta back, Jaemin then swiftly slices his staff through the air, ready to find its mark on Yuta's left thigh, but his father is quick, quick enough to deflect the strike and to counter back, thrusting his bamboo blade forwards at Jaemin's chest. He manages to side-step the attack, his breathing laboured as he aims for the opening Yuta had left on his right side. His father is just a second too late as the staff comes into contact with his torso.

"You're getting rusty" Jaemin teases, his voice gruff from the intense sequence they had just completed.

Yuta shakes his head, a grin dancing along his lips, "And you're getting cocky"

Jaemin smiles back at his father before he brings the hem of his shirt up to his face, wiping the sweat that clung to his skin.

"Want to go again?" Yuta asks, and immediately Jaemin is sinking into his stance, his mind already forming a plan to land another point.

It was thrilling, sparring with his father. Over the last week, Yuta had taught him so much, and he was finally feeling as though he were getting the hang of it. His father could be harsh when training, but he was also incredibly encouraging, and every question Jaemin had about stance and execution, he would answer eagerly.

Some fathers and sons bond over fishing or football... They just happened to share interest in a slightly unique activity.

Just as Yuta raises his bo staff, signalling for them to go again, competitive grins on both of their faces, another presence makes themselves known.

"Beating your father's ass?" Doyoung observes, emerging from their house and into the garden, watching the father and son duo with their staffs raised, ready and alert, "Oh, I need to see this"

Yuta just throws a glare at his long-time friend, the edges of his mouth still upturned as he holds his staff out to Doyoung, "If you find it so amusing, why don't you give it a go?"

And for a split-second Jaemin is confused, but then he remembers that Doyoung may not be a hunter but he still trained with Yuta at the institute. Intrigued by the prospective new challenger, Jaemin glances to Doyoung, waiting to hear his answer.

His uncle studies the staff for a moment, contemplation on his face, before he huffs, "Well, since Yumi is taking a nap I suppose I could do with some entertainment", and he reaches out to Yuta, grasping the staff in his own hand, as he reacquaints himself with his hand positioning.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jaemin watches his father retreat a few steps, getting ready to watch whatever unfolds, and that's when Jaemin focuses on Doyoung, his eyes narrowed and focused once more.

Immediately he notices a difference between his father and Doyoung. Where his father looked comfortable in stance, limbs soft and ready for fluid movement, Doyoung was all sharp lines. His back was straight, his arms angled perfectly. Where Yuta was intimidating because of his confidence and cocky nature in his skill, Doyoung was intimidating as he let nothing show on his face. Two completely different warriors, and yet they were two sides of the same coin.

He readies himself, reminding himself of every piece of advice Yuta had given him- focus on precision over strength, always allow for a follow through, keep your stance low and wide when you can for balance, and always listen to your body.

He didn't know what kind of warrior Doyoung was, but he was about to find out.

Without wasting a moment Doyoung moves in, so quick, that Jaemin doesn't register the blow until his left ankle aches. Doyoung only offers him a grin before he's moving again.