Story 9 Shorties

The following story/stories have been either submitted by one of my readers or found on other websites.

..........

Story 1

In the 1970’s, I was living in North Carolina

In the 1970’s, I was living in North Carolina. My twin sister was in college in Hawaii.

About 3:00 AM on a Friday night, my phone rang.

“Who died?” I answered the phone — my standard 3:00 AM greeting.

I heard sobs.

“No one,” I heard my twin gasp out between sobs.

“So, what’s up? Why calling at 3:00 AM?”

She managed to quit sobbing long enough to tell me that if she did not pay her college tuition within 10 days, she would be kicked out of college. “I asked every one else before I called you, but I’m desperate,” she continued. (Should I add we already had a long history of being disputatious siblings?)

Okay, okay. I’ll think about it, I thought. After all, if she gets kicked out of school, who’s most likely to end up…well, supporting her through the following decades?

 After all, if she gets kicked out of school, who’s most likely to end up…well, supporting her through the following decades?

Monday morning, I left for work early enough to stop by my bank. I took the $500 out of savings, bought a cashier’s check, and mailed it right off. I hoped it would get there before the 10 days was up.

The following Friday night, sound asleep, 3:00 AM the phone rings.

“Who died?” I demanded.

I heard sobs, and a quiet “No one”.

“Well, what is it this time?”

I listened, amazed and dumbfounded, as my twin repeated her tale of woe.

“But I already mailed a cashier’s check for the tuition; I mailed it Monday, after you called last Friday — and can I say, at 3 AM?”

To this day, my twin swears she never called that first Friday.