23. Serial killers

The following story/stories have been either submitted by one of my readers or found on other websites.

..........

I meet serial killers every day. I am doing post-graduation in psychiatry and currently placed under forensic psychiatry department. Usually two types of people are sent here by court order; people on trial are sent for assessing their mental state during the commission of crime and prisoners who get ill in the prison. Getting a psychiatric diagnosis will decrease the liability of crime; so some criminals try to use this loophole by feigning mental illnesses, and few of them are serial killers.

There are two kinds of serial killers. One with definite mental illnesses who often hear voices commanding them to kill or have some sort of delusion and act on the basis of that delusional belief. Their diagnosis is often schizophrenia or similar psychotic disorders. You have to feel sorry for these patients and victims because it is not their fault. It is the fault of the families and state for not providing proper treatment to the hallucinating patients.

For example I know one schizophrenic patient who killed an ambulance driver, a male nurse and his own father few months back. Can you see any link among the victims? He was taken in the hospital by that driver; cared by the nurse and visited by his father in the hospital every week while he was in the hospital. However he believed he was kidnapped by the driver then the kidnapper put him in a locked room which was actually the hospital ward for violent patients and guarded by the male nurse who was taken as one of the accomplices. He believed his father arranged that kidnapping to embezzle his property.

I think second kind of serial killers are the topic of interest here. They are apparently normal people; society would love to label them with some kind of disease mark but unfortunately they don’t have any. I will try to give some interesting information about these apparently normal serial killers.

First the physical attributes. I found tall and thin or average body weight killers are involved in organized killing whereas short and fat killers are involved in disorganized killing often with sexual motivation. Two other facial features are commonly present; abnormal ears and eyebrows. Ears are of unusual size, occasionally very small, sometimes standing out of the head; eyebrows are very thick, sometimes joined together, or missing or too thin in the lateral half. Fingers can be unusually long and thumb is often very thick. But the most striking feature is their eyes. They are either very bright and shiny or cold and lifeless; just not like normal people; I always felt like they were calmly calculating me or my questions.

Serial killers are not highly intelligent individuals in fact of below average intelligence. They usually kill in an organized way. Organized killing means killing is planned, victim is usually targeted stranger, conversation and crime scene is in total control, physical restrained is often use, victim is taken away from initial place of contact, body is hidden, and weapon is not found at the crime place.

I met one serial killer who raped and killed 13 young women. I asked him about his picking process. He answered he would closely watch several girls at a time; girls walk in long steps are confident and in short steps are timid. Confident looking girls are comparatively easy pick because they talk with strangers. His another way was asking girls for little helps like opening the door, carrying shopping bag etc. If a girl agreed with his request it meant she came from a well-mannered family and taught to help strangers; further request would take the girl in an isolated place where he would rape her.

In personal life they are usually married, skilled workers but frequently changes job, socially competent, well read, follow crime news in media or watch crime series , can have extensive forensic and crime knowledge. One serial killer described me how he used a 2 liter plastic coke bottle as silencer for his gun. That’s interesting. What serial killers told me is that killing is the easy part; difficult part is hiding the body.

It is very difficult to guess whose intention is what. A serial killer might try to pick you to rob, rape or torture. I think while talking with a stranger you should look directly into his eyes; try to avoid any one with a cold predatory look. And trust your instincts. Thanks.

..............

Stay tuned for the next chapter.

Once again this book contains only real-life events, not made up stories.

Thank you very much for reading.

If you want your stories to be published here, private message me and get a chance to have your story in this book.

Next chapter: Haunted House