Story 14 Monster

The following story/stories have been either submitted by one of my readers or found on other websites.

..........

Fresh out of high school, I had just moved into my first place with my boyfriend (now ex-husband). He was at work one evening (just after sunset) so I was in our new house alone, babysitting my 2+year-old nephew.

The hallway that led into our bedroom had a door on the right side that led outside. The head of my bed was up against the wall on the opposite side, giving us a clear view of the back door. I brought my nephew to my room and laid him on the bed so that I could get him dressed in his pajamas.

We were being goofy and laughing when he instantly stopped laughing and looked over towards the back door as if something there had gotten his attention. I turned to look over my shoulder thinking my boyfriend had come home and was coming down the hall but no one was there.

I had no idea what he was looking at. There were no pictures on the walls yet, no windows in that vicinity and just a solid brown metal door with a simple brass handle.

I looked back over at my nephew and was about to ask him what he was looking at, but the sheer terror in his eyes left me speechless. I darted my eyes back towards the door but I couldn’t figure out what he was seeing.

I stared intently at the door for a few seconds before I turned back to my nephew who was now quickly scooting backward towards the wall behind him, his mouth open as if he were screaming but no sounds were escaping his lips.

I reached out to comfort him but his eyes were fixed on the back door. He finally took a deep breath and screamed a bloodcurdling scream that hit me like a bolt of lightning!

I have never heard anything (before or since) that sent such a shockwave of terror pulsing through my body. He screamed one long, constant, petrifying scream until his breath ran out and then he took another deep breath and screamed again. I scooped him in my arms and spun around so that I could see the door and held him so that he could only see me and the wall behind the bed.

I tried to calm him by rocking him and telling him it was okay, but I had no idea if I was lying or not. I had no idea what was happening or what he was seeing. He stopped screaming but began hyperventilating.

I tried to force him to look away but he was too terrified to keep his back to the door. He was trying to climb over my shoulder with such strength that I could barely hold him. I kept trying to ask him what was wrong but he was hyperventilating so severely and trembling so much that he couldn’t speak. Finally, while hiding behind my back his little arm shot out beside me and he pointed at the back door and screamed:

“MON-SER!” (monster).

Saying it out loud seemed to send a rush of fear coursing through his body because he started shaking uncontrollably. It scared the Hell out of me too!

I tried to hug him and pick him up again but all he wanted was to hide behind my back, pounding me with his little fists as if to say “Do something!”. He said it again as if I didn’t catch it the first time, “MON-SER!”. He began saying it over and over again between sobs, with increasing intensity.

I put my arms behind my back and hugged him tight as he pounded my back while focusing intently on the back door. I saw absolutely nothing but I was scared to death all the same.

There was only one way out of the room and that was down the hall and past that door. I was trying to get up the courage to do just that but my nephew’s frantic cries of “MON-SER” were quickly draining my resolve.

He’s pounding into my back with surprising force, screaming “MON-SER” in my ears and I sat there completely frozen, almost trance-like. I kept imagining some invisible creature glaring at me, just waiting to pounce. Being unable to see it scared me more than anything.

I suddenly heard a whisper through my nephew’s screams (like his screams were somehow muted so that I could hear it). The whisper didn’t have an angry tone, it felt more like the concerned voice of someone trying to help me.

It whispered insistently: “Go… now!”.

It snapped me out of the trance I was in and I grabbed my nephew and ran. As we neared the back door he stastarted clawing my back and digging his nails in like he was afraid I’d let go.

I ran down the hall and out the front door (I wasn’t about to go out the back door). I ran several blocks to my mom’s house (it hadn’t occurred to me to take my car - I hadn’t even stopped to grab the keys or put on shoes… I simply hauled ass out of there!).

When my nephew and I got to my mom’s we both instantly calmed down (as if a switch flipped when we walked in the door, even though no one else was home) so I sat him on the kitchen table while I sat in the chair in front of him.

I hugged him, then wiped his tears and told him everything was okay now. After a couple of minutes, he seemed calm and steady (like he had somehow grown older and wiser in mere minutes). I worked up the courage to gently ask him what he had seen.

He looked around quickly before looking back at me and calmly, almost matter-of-factly said: “mon-ser”. The look on his face was half fear and half annoyance, like “damn it, woman… how many times do I have to tell you?”.

I tried various different ways to get him to describe it but I didn’t think he understood, so I grabbed a pencil and paper and started a pathetic attempt to draw various monsters. (FYI stick men are beyond my skill set)

He seemed to understand what I was doing but pushed the paper away and instead put his little hands on my cheeks and pulled my face closer to him. I wasn’t sure what he was doing but I went along with it. Once my face was mere inches from him he pushed my chin so that I was looking down and then he began playing with my hair.

I thought, “okay… that’s one way to change the subject” and I let him style my hair. He pulled all of my hair to the front so that it was tickling my nose and then he pushed my forehead back up so I could look at him through my hair. His voice seemed to quiver slightly as he whispered the word “mon-ser”.

It shook me to the core. (I had long, straight, almost-black hair at the time.) He pushed the hair from my face and looked me right in my eyes and whispered “mon-ser” again as if to make sure I understood him.

I looked at his chubby little face and his innocent eyes as they silently pleaded with me to understand and I whispered back to him “monster”. He pulled my hair back in front of my face and said: “Yeth, mon-ser.” (yes, monster).

I scooped him into my arms and hugged him tightly. I kissed his little cheeks and said “It’s okay now. It’s gone. You’re safe.” But it wasn’t okay - at all. I was absolutely horrified and couldn’t get the image out of my mind.

I was covered in goosebumps and kept feeling shivers shooting up and down my spine. I knew he had seen something that was (to me) even more terrifying than any “monster” I could imagine. Was it a ghost? I didn’t even want to know. It didn’t really matter what it was because I never went back to that house again.

.....

The way he described how the monster looked was terrifying! 😬

Stay tuned for the next chapters.

Once again this book contains only real-life events, not made up stories.

Thank you very much for reading.

If you want your stories to be published here, private message me and get a chance to have your story in this book.

Next chapter: Episode one of Mystic Monday : case of the Axeman