ten, an unjust offering

CHAPTER TEN ━━ AN UNJUST OFFERING
Sacrifice! 0110

FOR THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS, Jules barely left her room. She had peeled the Polaroids off of her wall and hastily jammed them into an old shoebox up high in her closet, and was immediately consumed by the anger and sadness and confusion that made become her norm instantaneously. And on top of that, she couldn't find it in herself to remove the necklace from around her neck, despite how much the metal burned and clung to her skin.

Sarah had eventually come over and practically dragged Jules out of bed and out of the house as Jules's parents wondered aloud what was going on with their daughter. Well, it wasn't like they had listened to her cry herself to sleep for four days and scream in the shower. But they wouldn't aid her in her time of need regardless.

When the girls arrived at the Château, Jules sat at the surf shack instead of going inside with Sarah. The Carson girl sat out there by herself for a long time until JJ came and sit with her. Neither of them spoke. Neither dared to move a muscle. They were content in each other's presence, not wanting to trade it for the world.

After about an hour of just sitting in the sunlight, soaking it in and enjoying one another's company, JJ shifted. He glanced over at Jules, his eyes falling down to the dainty pendant around her neck.

"Why haven't you taken that off?" he asked kindly.

Jules raked a shaky hand through her hair. She looked down at her lap whilst she pondered an answer. Rafe's initials were still visible from beneath the hem of her shorts, even though they had healed a long time ago. Part of her hated how they were etched into her skin forever. Another part of her ached in longing.

"I can't," she said finally, lifting her eyes to JJ. "I can't bring myself to take it off for the same reason I let Rafe put it on me."

JJ hummed in reply, nodding slightly. "Do you want to take it off?" he prompted.

"Eventually. I think — I think once I take it off, it all becomes real . . . y'know, when it all finally sinks in."

The blond nodded in understanding. But it's not like he really understood, that is. Never in a million years would he understand how a guy like Rafe Cameron could have scored with a girl like Jules Carson, friendship or otherwise. There were so many other people better for her than that pretentious asshole. So many more people who were more deserving of her time than that prick.

They continued to sit in comfortable silence for a little while longer. The sun had almost completely vanished beyond the dark horizon when Jules told JJ in a tired voice that she needed to get home. So he gathered up the Pogues and they all piled into the Twinkie to take the girl home, even though she'd much rather be with them than anywhere else in the world.

But as soon as her large, pale brown house came into view, dread washed over her like a tidal wave. She felt like she was drowning under its pressure and strength. She had to endure it, though, or else she'd be pulled under completely. Drowned or not, she would be lost to the ocean forever.

Jules bid her friends farewell as she hopped out of the van. She threw a fist bump to John B through the window before hurrying up to the door, where she noticed her father already standing. He didn't look happy by any means as she listened to the van drive off.