eleven, letting go

CHAPTER TEN ━━ LETTING GO
Sacrifice!          0111

     JULES NEEDED TO GET TO the Château. She needed to see John B and JJ, as she knew Kie and Pope would have already headed home for the night. Those two boys were the only things keeping her from breaking down completely in Rafe's truck as he sped through the Cut.

They eventually arrived, and Jules threw herself out of the vehicle and hurried towards JJ, who had come outside when the coal-colored truck had appeared through the brush. His arms wrapped around her in an instant. They swayed gently back and forth in the bright headlights of the truck as Jules fought back the tears from falling again, but she ultimately failed.

She eventually pulled away from JJ, and that's when he actually got a good look at her face and she noticed John B standing a few feet away, observing the entire exchange. His protective nature sent a reassuring chill down Jules's spine. But now, JJ could see her bloodshot eyes and the dried tears that trailed all the way down to her chin.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, carefully taking her face in his hands. He brushed away a fresh tear. "What happened?"

"Uh, I-I . . ." Jules couldn't speak. Her throat was tightening and her lungs were burning with the effort to breathe. But when it was clear that she wouldn't be able to get a word out, JJ's eyes flicked over to Rafe who had hesitantly gotten out of the truck. He stepped away from Jules and started towards him.

"Did you fucking hurt her, man?" JJ shoved Rafe back, who didn't even react. His face may have been completely neutral but Jules could see the rage and control glimmering in his pale eyes. "I swear to God, man, if you hurt her, I will beat your ass!"

"I didn't hurt Jules. I got her—"

"Bullshit!" JJ spat at Rafe. "I'm gonna beat your sorry ass into a fucking pretzel."

"JJ!" Jules wedged herself in between the two blonds and gently pushed JJ backwards a few feet. "Rafe didn't hurt me. My dad—"

JJ's eyes softened as he looked down at her. "What did your dad do?" he whispered.

Jules chewed on her tongue instead of answering. JJ wanted to question that silence but proceeded to wrap his arms around her middle once more, pulling her flush against his chest. He eyed Rafe over the girl's shoulder; both boys had murder in their eyes but neither would act on it with Jules around.

Finally, Jules pulled away from JJ and began walking away with the intent of heading home by herself. She tensed as she made her way past Rafe, but he brushed her hand with his fingers, hooking his index around her pinky.

"Angel . . ." That got her to stop walking, as much as she hated it and the flowers blooming in her chest at how soft and quiet his voice was. "Let me take you home."

"No. I'm just gonna walk," Jules told him. She was acutely aware of how tightly their fingers were interlocked. "Maybe I'll see if Sarah can come get me along the way."

"Fuck that. You're not walking all the way across the island alone in the dark," Rafe told her firmly. "Get in the truck."

"I'm not going anywhere else with you, Rafe."

Rafe's finger tightened around hers. "Get in the fucking truck, Jules. Besides, I want to talk to you."

Jules scoffed, a few tears slipping through the dam once again. "Yeah, no. I'm not up for listening to your pathetic excuses and apologies right now. I need to be alone."

"Jules, I'm not letting you walk home in the dark, and—"

"Rafe, leave her the hell alone," John B snapped. The sound of his voice had Rafe tightening his grip on Jules's finger. "She doesn't want anything to do with you."

After a few more seconds of hesitation, Rafe eventually loosened his finger and allowed Jules to pull her hand away from him. But Jules remained where she stood. She shakily reached up and unclasped the necklace from her neck. Keeping her head down, Jules stuck out her hand towards Rafe. A few moments passed before she felt him take the necklace.

"Will you please stay here tonight?" JJ asked Jules as she stiffly walked back towards him and John B.

"I can't," Jules told him. "My dad knows where the Château is. And if I don't come home . . ."

John B gazed down at Jules, his face contorted into a look of worry and apprehension. "Jules, please stay here tonight," he pleaded softly. "You're obviously not safe at home."

Jules looked up at John B. She pursed her lips, mulling the decision over in her head until she could feel the beginning of a migraine from behind her eyes.

But she eventually nodded.

"Okay," she conceded in a quiet voice. "I'll stay here."

With JJ grasping her hand and leading her inside, Jules's body didn't feel like her own. Her limbs were vibrating with anxiety and fear, and she was vaguely aware of the sound of a truck engine starting and then fading away into the distance. John B appeared a few moments later.

John B was gracious and allowed Jules to take his bedroom. He would be in the living room and JJ would be in the room next door to Jules.

But as soon as the two boys told her goodnight and gently shut the door behind them with a soft click, Jules broke down. From her sitting position on the bed she sobbed as quietly as she could. Her throat was tight and her chest produced hiccups and heaving breaths. Her face was wet once more with tears, and her eyes burned.

Jules didn't know if she would be able to sleep. But she did know one thing: the universe was testing her, and she was failing miserably.