twenty, collision course

CHAPTER TWENTY ━━ COLLISION COURSE
Sacrifice! 0220

( TRIGGER WARNING ):
physical and emotional abuse!

JULES WAS HOME ALONE. RILEY would be at work for a few more hours, and Rafe was currently finishing up helping his dad with some work around their house. She suspected she would be kept in solitude for probably another hour or so, considering Rafe had texted her close to two hours ago saying he would be at the house by 4 o'clock. It was now rolling around 3 o'clock.

Today would be the first time they've seen each other since the party at the Boneyard three days ago, and Jules was very excited to see Rafe.

After leaving the Boneyard that night, Rafe had taken her home, told her goodnight, and he went back to Tanneyhill. But then he wasn't answering her texts or phone calls, and, after pestering Sarah for who knows how long, Sarah revealed that her older brother had gotten in trouble with Ward and was paying the price.

Jules didn't want to know the details of said price.

Then Sarah had let Jules know Rafe was no longer being punished, and Rafe had finally texted her a few minutes later.

Mayday Parade's album Monsters In The Closet was playing in the background as Jules was going through her clothes and organizing her closet. She hummed along to the lyrics and occasionally sang softly to herself for a few lines.

When she had gotten all of her jeans and shorts put away and sorted, Jules paused the music playing from her phone to go get a drink. 12 Through 15 was still playing as she headed for the kitchen, albeit in her head.

The case of Dr Pepper that Riley had gotten a couple days ago was calling her name. She made a direct beeline for the fridge and retrieved one of the soda cans from the rectangular cardboard casing. The chilling aluminum sent a shock from her fingers all the way up to her elbow as she prepared to crack open the tab. But the ringing of the doorbell cut off her task. An annoyed sigh graced her lips as she set the can down on the counter to go to the front door.

Jules wasn't expecting anyone, except Rafe, who had quickly grown into the habit of just walking in like he lived there. There was nothing and no one else she could think of that could possibly be here. Curiosity and suspicion began clawing their way up through her throat.

She knew she should have slammed the door shut the moment she had opened it. She should have locked the deadbolt and doorknob as fast as humanly possible without freezing or hesitation. But it was too late. She had been paralyzed the moment she opened the door.

"Dad?" she choked out.

All Tate did was stare blankly at his daughter, who was on the sudden verge of salty crocodile tears. He worked his jaw a bit before forcing his way past Jules into the house.

"Wh-What are you doing here?" Jules stammered after hastily closing the door and slowly following the man into the living room.

Tate ignored her question. "Your mother and I knew Riley wouldn't be able to leave the island," he said, distaste coating his words. "Not surprised he's in the shit-hole between the Cut and Figure Eight, either. That boy can't leave Kildare even if he tried."

"Dad." Tate turned to look at Jules, who was trembling and scared. "What are you doing here?"

"Figured I'd drop by," he told her. "Say hi to my kids. But when I wasn't met with the sound of stomping feet as soon as I walked in, I knew Riley wasn't home."