Chapter 4

"Oyakata-sama!! I present to you the ugliness of what we call demons!"

Kagaya calls out his name in a futile attempt to placate him.

"Sanemi..."

The man holds his arm above the box, letting the blood drip through an opening. His smile turns crazed with a lust for the demon's end.

"Hey, demon!! It's time to eat! Sink your teeth on this!!"

Kanjō stares at the man with distaste. We're all humans this biased towards a different race? Though it's to be expected, this is a bit too much...

"Shinazugawa, you can't do it in the sunlight." Obanai says. "The demon won't come out unless you're in the shade."

'This Kanjō would have thrown him into a lake if not for the adorable snake he has.....'

"Oyakata-sama, forgive my rudeness."

Sanemi rushes into the compound, all while holding onto the box. He raises his sword, preparing to strike it into flesh.

"NEZUKOOO!!! STOP!!"

Tanjiro yells as he attempts to move, but Obanai is quick to elbow him. The bone digging into the boy's back harshly as he is kept in his place, unable to go save his sister.

A pale hand, glowing a faint green hue, grabs onto the sword.

Tanjiro is shocked. The silver haired woman has an ethereal scent, a touch of the untouchable. As the wind blows her hair back, it makes her seem other-worldly, an existence that which remains a mystery.

But he soon notices how the sword, barely an inch away from stabbing into the box, starts to bubble and melt. The Hashira are stunned, paralyzed to their spots as they witness the scene. When the metal is melted through, she throws it into the gravel outside the room.

"What are you doing, demon!?"

Kanjō simply bends down to open the box without a semblance of noise, and steps back to let Nezuko out. She watches the girl closely, golden eyes trained onto the muzzle as Nezuko starts to grow.

"Come over here, demon!! Here's some of your favorite human blood!"

Sanemi holds the arm with the wound in front of Nezuko. She stares, sweat dripping down her face as she breathes in huffs.

"Iguro-san, you're pushing him too much," a woman says. "Loosen up a bit."

He looks at her, simultaneously talking and pushing down the boy. "If he tries to move, wouldn't I be the one being pushed?"

Tanjiro uses his breathing, hoping to muster enough strength to break free. The pain first hits his lungs and spreads to the rest of his body. He coughs, breaking his concentration and his breath.

"...Kamado-kun, your lungs are under pressure, so if you use your breathing technique, your blood vessels will explode." The woman calmly says this.

The one wearing a headband gets excited at the news. "Blood vessels exploding!! That's going to make a flamboyant sound!! Okay, go explode!"

"You poor thing...what a pitiful child. Namu amida butsu..."

A pink haired woman stares at him, concerned and confused. Why would you want that?

Tanjiro continues to struggle against Obanai's hold and, coupled with newfound determination and the fact that Obanai is just a tad bit weaker than him, breaks free of the rope binding his hands. The one in the halved haori pulls Obanai's arm back, allowing Tanjiro the opportunity to rush forward to cling onto the wooden surface of the room's floor.

"NEZUKO!!"

Her pink eyes flash over to her brother and she hears clearly. 

Protect and serve humans. Don't hurt them.

She starts to remember her family, each and every enjoyable moment, up until the very last.

Never ever hurt humans.

And she turns away, all while having saliva drip down from her muzzle and breathing heavily.

Kanjō smiles, an unnoticeable thing unless you look closely since she takes after Sesshomaru in this sense. From behind, she covers Nezuko's eyes and pulls her head back slightly into her chest.

In the softest whisper, she speaks into the demon's ear.

"It has been done. Calm down now."

"What happened?" Kagaya asks.

The white haired girl on the right begins to detail what had transpired.

"The demon girl turned away. Even though Shinazugawa cut her three times and thrust his arm in front of her, she held herself back and didn't bite him."

He waits a moment to let the information sink in for the Hashira.

"And that's proof that Nezuko will not attack humans right there."

Kanjō, now knowing that Nezuko has calmed down a little, walks over to Kagaya and whispers a question into his ear.

He nods and, almost immediately, a loud sound rang out through the vicinity.

Slap!!

Sanemi's head is turned to the left, a welt with the image of a handprint left behind clearly from the impact.

"Reflect on your actions, mortal."

The shock didn't allow him to process so quick. A demon.....a demon had the audacity to strike his face in the headquarters of the Corps? 

"Hahahaha!! What a flamboyant slap!"

"Namu amida butsu..."

"Ara ara."

__________________________

Soon enough, the talk about Tanjiro and his sister lead to the beginning of the Hashira meeting. Though, even with Sanemi glaring daggers at her the whole time, Kanjō seemed unbothered by the conversation, rivalling even the youngest Hashira's listlessness.

"Now that we've finished talk of everything else, it's time to move on to a more hands on case."

Obanai, who has already read the contents of the letter sent to Kanjō, looks depressed.

"You all will train under Hahaue-dono individually at your estates." 

__________________________

{[ Taisho Secrets ]}

Kanjō really hates working.