Chapter 5

While Kanjō enjoys her cup of tea on the sidelines, chaos swept across all the Hashira. Except, well, maybe Giyuu and Muichiro. They were enjoying their tea too.

Sanemi, obviously, is the first to object. "Oyakata-sama, I cannot understand why we Hashira should train under a demon."

"It is as Shinazugawa-san says," Shinobu speaks. "There are plenty of other ways to train, why have her?"

"If it's what Oyakata-sama wishes, I have no opposition against it." Mitsuri smiles as she says this.

They all quiet themselves as he raises a finger to his lips. The strained atmosphere was obvious.

"Hahaue-dono has experienced much in her long lifespan, including things that are not human. I believed it would be best to have her teach you all."

"Has she fought against Kibutsuji?!"

She sets her cup down harshly against a nearby table and glares at the Sanemi, pupils narrowed into slits and a frown settling on her mouth.

"I'll take it that you'd rather not answer this yourself, Hahaue-dono?"

"No, this Kanjō simply finds the questioner unpleasant," She doesn't drop the nasty look. "Though this Kanjō has scared that thing off before."

"Against Kibutsuji?!"

"When did this happen?"

She scoffed, "As this Kanjō has already spoken, that thing ran off into the forests."

Ran away? Kibutsuji? Were they even talking about the same demon?

"How unflamboyant!!"

"In the middle of a fight?!"

Kagaya nods slowly, and proceeds to reach for Kanjō's hand. He pats her hand once and asks the Hashira a question.

"What would be the harm of Hahaue-dono training you all? Is it because she resembles a demon?"

The answer to that was obvious, and Kagaya was aware none of his swordsmen wanted to put trust into a stranger.

"Kyoujuro."

"Yes, Oyakata-sama?"

"I shall have Hahaue-dono go with you first."

"Of course."

"This meeting has been concluded. I wish you all a peaceful rest on your return to your estates."

All the Hashira kneeled as Kagaya disappeared behind a set of doors with a gentle smile on his face.

'Once they have been under Hahaue-dono's tutelage, they shall understand how vital she is to Kibutsuji Muzan's downfall.'

__________________________

As they make their way to the Rengoku estate, Kyoujuro takes to observing Kanjō as she walks ahead.

She's a bit taller than Obanai's height, barely reaching up to his own nose. Her back stands straighter than his as she takes her steps in small strides, seemingly floating across land with how long her garment is.

The way she carries herself is noble, much like Oyakata-sama. But if he had to describe her, she was an almost empty husk of a person, breathing but not exactly living.

The mannerisms were almost exact copies, but the person themselves were so different.

Kyoujuro doesn't know what possesses him in that moment, but he finds himself feeling sympathy, and reaches for her head. Kanjō freezes and let's him continue. His touch was warm and comforting, making her miss the younger years of her family.

He had the touch of a brother.

__________________________

"Kanjō, you did a good job."

A big hand messed up the hair of the shorter girl.

"Really?"

"Mhm."

She smiled brightly. "Thank you, Aniue-dono!"

__________________________

Kyoujuro likes the touch of her hair. It's soft, well taken care of like a young mistress, the silver tresses seemingly like they've never been tangled or knotted in her life. And he relished in the feeling, as his family is made up of boys, because it reminds him of when his mother took care of her own hair, combing through the dark strands.

"You have a younger sibling, don't you."

His hand flinches back. Kyoujuro quickly realizes what he's done, but doesn't seem too embarrassed that he gave affection to a stranger. Though, a strange heat slowly crawls up his neck.

"Yes, I do!! How did you know!?"

Kanjō turns around to face him, clothes fluttering with an unexpected gust of wind. It is early summer after all.

He speaks loudly, just as he always has, because he's curious to how she knows. The questions in his head are jumbled into countless possibilities.

So when she plainly points to his hand and back to the top of her head, his face reverts back to two dots and a line.

"This Kanjō has an elder sibling, as stated by the one in the halved haori. It was nostalgic, yet comforting."

This only raises more questions for the flame haired man. Nostalgic? Why? From what he gathered, she had been living for quite some time now, should that not be the same for the rest of the family? Did her family not give such affection.

"Would you grant this Kanjō a tale or two of the child?"

The Rengoku puffs his chest out, preparing to rant about how great his younger brother was.

And suddenly, Kanjō's silence feels at peace.

By the time they arrive to the estate, it was already near the dead of night. 

A few crickets could be heard in the background, but other than that was the sound of Kyoujuro's footsteps.

"Ah, Kanjō-san. I must ask you to be careful around my father, his temper is..."

"Do not worry, this Kanjō knows how to deal with those types of people."

At that, you could imagine Kanjō thinking back to her adventure with her younger brother. The child always had little patience, never seeing the whole truth until much later.

She snaps her head to another presence, just as a young boy opens the front door to greet them.

"The same human in different places at once....how intriguing."

The man belted out a laugh, finding it hilarious that she said it with such a flat tone so seriously. Though, he does admit to the uncanny resemblance of his sibling.

"That is my younger brother, Senjuro!"

Senjuro studies the features on Kanjō's face and, just like the Hashira, registered her as a demon. But the boy is level-headed, despite his demure nature, and he trusts his brother. 

He still tensed up when Kanjō approached him, looking down at him with what she considers a neutral face. So when she pats his head out of nowhere, he's surprised he wasn't attacked instead and stays glued to his spot as she walks into the house.

"Nii-sama?" He says as he looks up. "She seems kind."

Kyoujuro smiles brightly. "She is, Senjuro!!"

And while the two brothers talk, Kanjō follows the scent of a familiar smell, walking through hallway after hallway. When she finally opens a door, a bottle is thrown at her face by another flamed haired man. She reacts immediately and catches the object with one hand, lowering it to her side as she strides in.

"What have you become, Shinjuro..."

__________________________

{[ Taisho Secrets ]}

Kanjō has met with three of the former Hashira before and knows them quite well.