Chapter 12

Once Obanai had left, with Mitsuri trailing along and apologizing profusedly all the way to the door, Kanjō turns to Senjuro in haste and gives him an embrace.

"You are such a delightful child, Senjuro. This Kanjō cannot be any prouder of you."

Senjuro wasn't a child who cried, instead he bit his lip as his body trembled. Confronting people were scary, terrifying even, especially when it came to the Serpent Hashira whom he knew since young.

There's a uncharacteristic grin on Kanjō's face.

"Remember this, Senjuro, when there is someone you hold dear that you want to protect. Being strong is not simply with the body, but with the spirit as well."

He holds onto her clothes tightly, knuckles turning white.

All while he trembles from relief and happiness.

Now there is a way for him to protect too.

Kyoujuro almost slides the door off its place as he barrels into the room, interrupting the serene moment.

"Kanjō-san! I must apologize for my fellow swordsman's conduct, please do not be angry!!"

"This is not your apology to make," The look in her eyes grow cold. "Unless he grovels like the animal he behaves as, this Kanjō shall not treat him kindly."

"I...."

The Flame Hashira furrows his brows with a frustrated look on his face. Of course Kanjō would respond like this, rightfully so, even the Hashiras' blood runs cold when Oyakata-sama isn't given face*.

"I understand..."

Kanjō does not relent, but decides to change the topic in hopes of moving on from the sour mood.

"Senjuro, this Kanjō thinks she will desire some fish for dinner."

__________________________

"CAW! CAW! FLAME HASHIRA RENGOKU KYOUJURO, THERE HAS BEEN AN INCREASING AMOUNT OF DISAPPEARING HUMANS ABOARD THE MUGEN TRAIN!! FIND AND SLAY THE DEMON WHO HAS EATEN THE PASSENGERS!"

The sound of the Demon Slayer's crows always grated on Kanjō's ears. They were harbingers of death, whether it be the demon they bring news about....or the slayer they're assigned to, and so is such the reason she disliked them.

"Kanjō-san, Senjuro," Kyoujuro abruptly stands from the dinner table. "I apologize for interrupting our meal, it seems my presence is needed elsewhere."

Kanjō feels as though there is a knawing at the back of her head. She attempts to ignore it, trying to push the thought away, but it prevails and she supposes it is a sign.

As Kyoujuro slides open the door, she speaks firmly.

"Still yourself, this Kanjō shall accompany you on this mission so as to see your progression."

"OYAKATA-SAMA HAS REQUESTED FOR KANJŌ-SAMA TO STAY AND TRAIN THE NEXT HASHIRA."

"If the child has requested for such, he will only be met with refuse," She glares. "Even your master knows that this Kanjō cannot be tamed."
__________________________

When was the last time this Kanjō had taken such a long walk? A century ago? Or was it around a few millennia?

The dirt underneath her feet and the smell of humans as she passed them by, suddenly everything blurred between old and new. This place had only been an old, run down village before, now a railway station stood in its place and the smell of coal permeated through the nighttime air.

"Kyoujuro," She paused to let him look her way. "The world is much larger than when this Kanjō was young."

Miroku and Sango would have marveled at the sight of a metal box on wheels, moving with steam.

The Hashira remains silent, noticing the slight haze in Kanjō's eyes. Perhaps she was reminiscing a past unheard of, older than he would ever be.

As the two enter the train, people would stare and gawk at the head of long silver hair. It was not normal for them to see such color except for those of old age; they weren't far off that assumption, but this woman appeared young, very much so. Despite dressing plainly for the outing, Kanjō still attracted attention.

"That woman must be of noble birth...maybe she's a businessman's daughter?"

"What can she be if not that," A woman scoffed. "Look at those hands, they're smooth and white unlike ours."

"The lady seems to even have a guard with her..."

Kanjō doesn't react to these comments, despite hearing everything. They weren't so discrete with their whispers and her ears could listen to the most quietest of things. She finds a seat for herself and sits down without ever uttering a word. The boy wearing a train worker's uniform passes by, using a tool to press a hole into the tickets.

"Young miss, please present your ticket."

He tilts his head, hiding his face with the brim of his cap.

There's a distinct smell on him and the train, she notices, the putrid stench of ruined blood and the freshly dead lingering at every corner. Kanjō closes her eyes and makes a small gesture towards Kyoujuro, signaling him to show the boy their tickets.

He smiles. "Ah, I'm sorry about that! I have the tickets for the both of us."

"B-But the young miss must have her own ticket on hand!"

The boy seems panicked now, body tense with anxiety.

"It is a ticket this Kanjō has procured by my own hand...so there should not be anything wrong, correct?"

Glancing at him from the corner of her eye, Kanjō's eyes seem to glow a startling gold when he stubbornly insists. Though her voice is soft and gentle, the coldness pierces through and frightens him.

"Yes...of course, my apologies."

He walks off to the next person quickly.

She looks off into the distance through the window.

"I am very sorry about this, Kanjō-san," Kyoujuro bows in his seat. "I did not know of-"

"It be not a thing of worry."

A certain scent grows stronger.

"There only exists a coward who could not face the world."

__________________________

{[ Taisho Secrets ]}

People kept staring and whispering at Kanjō.

One of them said they thought she was pretty and wanted to marry her. Kyoujuro's mother spiritually threw hands.

That is her son's future bride!

(Giving face* is a term for actions that show respect, honor, and social standing towards another person. Obanai did not do that.)

Author's Note:

I'm so sorry for not updating for another long period of time! ;-;
I was graduating this year and was behind on a lot of stuff and college decisions aren't easy.
(I got rejected from all the super well known/respected universities and had to apply for a back up).
Kanjō has made her official comeback and I'm so happy that I still have a summer break :D