Chapter 13

Kanjō always....always loved her brothers. She often thought to herself that she loved them so much that it hurt her soul to see them with the smallest pains.

"Kyoujuro...?"

Her voice comes out soft, the first time she has spoken since getting on the train.

"Yes, Kanjō-san?"

He's attentive to her immediately, pausing from eating his thirteenth bento and wiping his mouth with a handkerchief that she hands him.

"You love Senjuro dearly, this Kanjō is correct to assume?"

He nods his head furiously, gulping down the food he still has in his mouth.

She gives him a slight smile, something sad and lonely, forlorn in nature as the sharp lines of her resting stoicism softens. Inuyasha had been her only younger brother, one she had raised alongside that disgusting human her father favored, and he was precious in her eyes. Kanjō did her best to become a perfect older sister to her newfound treasure, younger than her by a few thousand years.

"To have such a young child depend on you changes the way one thinks....the way they behave."

She returns to that same, sharp look on her face, the one Kyoujuro is much more used to seeing. He wonders sometimes, whether this was how she always behaved, stoic and guarded, her emotions hidden by cryptic words and mysterious phrases. He realizes he doesn't know much about her.

She is Inu no Kanjō.

Her brother is Sesshomaru, though Kyoujuro is confused whether she is older or younger than him.

Oyakata-sama cherishes her deeply and recognizes her as his Hahaue.

Kibutsuji Muzan fears her.

That is all he knows...and he knows so little.

"Senjuro cares deeply, Kyoujuro. Do not die here, where he cannot see you."

Kyoujuro tentatively reaches out to rest his hand on hers, and it feels as though she is far away despite sitting right across from him. It makes him retreat, physically and emotionally, wondering if they were anything beyond acquaintances.

"I understand...I do not wish to leave behind Senjuro in such a way." He whispers with pursed lips.

Kanjō sees the withdrawal and tries to question if her words were sour to his thoughts, but there's a boisterous noise of a pig-headed human that interrupts her before she does.

"UWOOOOOHH!!" A deep, raspy voice exclaims. "WE'RE IN THE BELLY, WE'RE IN ITS BELLY! IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE FIGHT!!!"

The boy, clad in yellow, yells to scold his companion. "SHUT UP!"

Kanjō recognizes the one in their group with a scar on his forehead, the familiar scent of coal, different than the one the train emits. Kamado Tanjiro...if her vague memory recalls correctly.

"This Rengoku-san is a pillar? Do you know what he looks like?" The yellow boy asks.

"Yes, he's a man with flashy hair...and I remember his smell," He answers calmly, a small twitch from his nose when he takes a second to trace the Hashira. "He's very close.."

As the three continue chattering away, Kanjō silently stands and approaches them, pressing a gentle hand to Kyoujuro's shoulder as a sign of reassurance. It didn't do much for him since he was already drowning in his thoughts, unusually quiet.

"You, with the red hair."

All of them turn to face her, suddenly aware of her presence.

Tanjiro remembers her, from the execution trial. Her figure gallant and refined, silver hair flowing with the breeze as she grabs the blade directed at his sister and disarms the man full of scars.

Yellow hair stutters out incoherent mutterings, none of which form a single word, at the sight of her. Kanjō was breathtakingly beautiful, probably one of the most stunning women he's ever laid eyes on. He wanted to beg on his knees and cry out about marriage to her, but it felt.... disrespectful to even propose that. She was too regal, too out of his league.

Inosuke felt an overwhelming sense of powerlessness.

"This Kanjō hopes your sister is in good health."

The boy in the checkered haori smiles brightly at the sight of the silver-haired woman and tries to greet her properly.

"Nezuko has been very well since you have saved her. I am very grateful for-"

He's interrupted by the yellow clad boy, violently shaking him while gripping the collar of his uniform and yelling loudly.

"TANJIRO, HOW DARE YOU HAVE NOT ONE, BUT TWO STUNNING BEAUTIES THAT KNOW YOU. BLASPHEMOUS!!! THIS IS THE ULTIMATE BETRAYAL!!"
__________________________

{[ Taisho Secrets ]}

Kanjō secretly enjoys watching people fight over her, loving the attention and praise.

Author's Note:

Not Wattpad notifying me I was taking too long to update 💀
Something about their system not showing my story as often because it prefers regular updates.

Also....can y'all help me confirm if someone is flirting with me because I'm so confused and my friends are giving conflicting responses to me. They all confirmed I'm dense af though.