Chapter 10

Mitsuri was a bright person with a bright personality and Obanai was, and let's be honest, a douchebag at most times.

They walked together, heading towards the Rengoku estate when they come across an imp-like creature carrying a unique staff. The short thing rides on a three headed scaled dragon, its little mouth seeming to move comically as it speaks.

"We were supposed to head west! W e s t!!"

With a huff and a small growl, all three heads turn away.

"Sesshomaru said to go west, not east!!!"

The dragon simply slumps on the ground, the imp falling over from the back of the beast.

Obanai is quick to draw his sword, but remains where he stands. The name "Sesshomaru" was familiar, from the last Hashira meeting, and he wasn't sure what to do if he was the cause of another race that tries to annihilate humans. Mitsuri, in contrast to her usual cheerful persona, was about to surge forward and attack already. If not for Obanai's hand that signaled her to stop, she would have tried cutting off their heads by now.

"Sesshomaru-sama told us to deliver this letter and cloth to Inu no Kanjō-sama quickly, we must make haste." He says while angrily stomping with one foot.

He sighs.

"Sesshomaru-sama specifically called on me, his most loyal servant Jaken, to take...." The imp quiets all of a sudden. "....A-Un, we leave now."

Jaken's sense of smell was inferior to his two masters', but it is by no means any less than a human's. He picks up on two unknown scents right away and the air around them smells suspicious. Pinpointing where they are, he notices that they've been around the corner behind him for more than a necessary time.

A-Un senses the urgency in Jaken's voice and, obediently, flys off as soon the small yokai is seated.

The two head east, right in the direction of the Rengoku estate.

"Well, it did say Kanjō-san's name..." Mitsuri senses Obanai's suspicions. "Perhaps it's something urgent with the yokai."

"But that doesn't explain why that thing-"

He stops when he sees the look on his companion's face.

Mitsuri is worried, and rightly so. Kanjō was new to her and trust was not built yet, doubts would form quickly from this encounter. But she wanted so much to believe in the goodness of others.

"It did say another name, right? Sesshomaru.... Tomioka-san mentioned it at the meeting briefly."

"Her brother....why is he sending her a letter?"

Obanai is suspicious of Kanjō's real purpose here. Not like he wasn't already, but seeing another race so similar to demons only fueled his distrust for her more. If it was just a simple letter from brother to sister, there would be no need to hurry or rush. That was his justification.

In reality though, it was just Jaken being unconditionally devoted to Sesshomaru again, and Sesshomaru simply wanted to check in on his sibling.

The existence of yokai were almost forgotten and the race itself was pushed back by human industrialization. Soon, the blurred memories of monsters ravaging small towns became myth. Oyakata-sama notified the Hashira of this, Obanai himself clearly remembers the conversation, so what is one of them doing outside?

A delivery of a letter and cloth, yes, but the contents of the letter itself were a mystery.

"We need to to hurry to Rengoku's estate."

Mitsuri nods firmly.

__________________________

Kanjō and Kyoujuro spar against each other again, this time, with Senjuro watching them.

"This Kanjō will pick up speed."

She takes a single step.

"Prepare yourself."

And suddenly, she disappeared, leaving behind the sound of cutting through air. The flame haired man is shocked, but he feels a chill run up his spine and turns around just in time to block Kanjō's attack. 

'It's heavier than before and there's more power behind it now,' He thinks.

She jumps back before throwing the wooden sword at him. He's distracted, though rightfully so because no one ignores a weapon thrown at them, and she takes the chance to rush behind him. Kyoujuro himself saw the flash of white, but couldn't react in time. The moment he turns around, her claws are already aimed at his throat, so he freezes.

"You have improved." She simply says as she lets her hand down. "But next time, you shou-"

"Kanjō-sama! Inu no Kanjō-sama!"

Kyoujuro notices the almost inaudible sigh that passes her lips and the twitch of her sharp ears.

"Jaken...what has Aniue sent?"

"Replying to Kanjō-sama, Sesshomaru-sama has sent a letter along with a package."

As the three-headed dragon lands, Jaken, the green imp from before, rushes to kneel in front of the yokai. He bows his head and raises the packaging as high as his short arms would allow it.

She takes the letter first, unfolding it with one hand, and slips the package into her sleeve. The elegantly written words bring a sense of familiarity to her. 

__________________________

Sister,

I hear from the Tengu of Yako Mountain that you have crossed over into eastern territory where the Demon Slayer Corps are. You have gone off to take care of that monk's descendants yet again. Mother herself is not so worried, she seems to believe you can handle it.

Come back alive.

Sesshomaru

__________________________

It was short and precise, very much like Kanjō's brother, but it brought a smile to her face and she just seemed to shine uncontrollably.

"Jaken."

"Hai, Kanjō-sama?"

"Tell this Kanjō's aniue not to worry so much. You may return to Sesshomaru."

Jaken is a bit worried, so his steps were hesitant when heading toward A-Un. He's known the two siblings for a long time.

"Kanjō-sama......please take care of yourself."

He takes off into the skies on A-Un's back, bickering all the way.

Though, once out of earshot, Kanjō says something that makes Kyoujuro choke on his laughter.

"Jaken, you worry more than you should sometimes," She sighs. "This is why there are so many wrinkles on your forehead."

__________________________

{[ Taisho Secrets ]}

Kyoujuro thinks about the time Kanjō sat on his back sometimes.

He turns red from face to neck at the thought.