Chapter 14

Considering the sensitivity of Kanjō's ears, the boisterous youngling clad in yellow had made her form a grimace on her face, the furrow of her brow making it look as if she was disgusted by his behavior.

"Please, conduct yourself with some dignity," She speaks sternly, quiet, but definitely not soft. "You are in public, even this Kanjō would not cause such a scene."

Zenitsu is reminded of when he first met Tanjiro, when he was clinging to a woman who had been concerned for his well-being enough to ask if he was alright. As soon as the boy has finished explaining his side of the story, his friend had looked at him as if he were something abhorrent, lower than dirt itself. Though, this time, Zenitsu is oddly ashamed of his actions, it was as if he was being scolded by his master again, back when he was training his breathing technique. He's silent, uncharacteristically so.

Kanjō looks to her acquaintance in the checkered haori, giving a subtle nod to his direction so that he could answer.

"Nezuko has been doing well since the trial!" His face breaks into an endearing grin. "We have you to thank for such a fortunate outcome."

Tanjiro was always a polite child, tried his best in everything he could do, and Kanjō notices it in the way she could hear faint wisps of a dialect slip in between syllables of his speech, no doubt from practicing to speak the more common tongue, and the way he keeps his hand wrapped tightly around the strap of the box that carries his sister, callouses from years of manual labor and months of sword training.

She turns around and begins to walk along the aisle of the passenger car.

"The Hashira you younglings desire to meet is this way."

Her footsteps are quiet when she heads back to her disciple, who was scarfing down another bento during her momentary absence, trying to make it seem as if he hadn't been enamored since she stood up to find the three boys. As if he wasn't clinging on at whatever she did... almost like a young pup.

A bit ironic, since Kanjō was a Inu yokai herself.

"Kanjō-san! You have returned with the other three slayers!"

She gives him a slight nod before slipping onto the space beside him, letting the three children sit across for convenience's sake. Kyoujuro, ever so considerate, especially to Kanjō, slides over so that she had more than enough room to be comfortable.

Tanjiro strikes up conversation easily, asking of his family's Hinokami Kagura, the dance of the Fire God.

"This is the first time I've heard of the Hinokami Kagura," He replies bluntly, a bit loud. "I'm actually delighted to see that you were able to apply the dance your father performed in a fight, but enough of this story!!"

Tanjiro's mouth hangs open and his eyes are wide with the unexpectedly short answer.

"Huh?! Could I have a little more-"

"You should become my Tsuguko! I'll look after you!"

Kanjō looks out the window and at the darkness outside. Something about this train made her unsettled in her heart, it wasn't just the overpowering smell of coal either, something else was mixed in as if it were all around her. Where she sat, the floor her feet rested, the walls of the train cart, everything smelled slightly like-

"Kanjō-san?"

Kyoujuro's hand gently touched her shoulder, bringing her back to reality.

She kept the stoic look on her face, turning her head from the window to face him. "What do you wish to inquire?"

She had been too absorbed in her thoughts to realize how long their conversation had grown.

"Kamado-san asked if you had heard of the Hinokami Kagura before."