★彡[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 22]彡★

They held hands on the drive back to Abby's flat, and giggled like two school children with a naughty secret. Their hearts were soaring, though neither of them shared this with the other - they had kissed... and they had both liked it. Loved it, even.

When Paul parked outside the building, they both got out of the car. As Paul came round to the road, he grabbed Abby again and pulled her to him. He never wanted the elation that came with her being in his arms to end. He wanted to kiss her lips forever.

They made it up the stairs of the building and to the front door of Abby's flat - it took them about twenty minutes because they kept stopping to kiss and giggle - but they made it there eventually.

Abby giggled as she pushed Paul away from her just long enough to fish around in her bag for the door key, and then she unlocked the door.

She turned back to Paul, "tea?"

Paul, lost in the moment, didn't catch onto what Abby was saying. "I can't wait to show you the time of your life..." he said lowly into his girl's ear.

She squirmed, pushing him away once more - though this time she didn't giggle. She was serious.

"Paul, I don't want to... I don't want to do that yet."

He had been trying to kiss her, his hands resting on her hips, but when he heard her say those words he dropped his hands and stepped away.

"Why?" He asked, unable to help but feel like he had been led on a little bit.

Had Abby not enjoyed kissing him? Had she not played along and led him to believe that he would be keeping her warm tonight?

"I-it's been a long time." Abby admitted. She went into the flat, leaving the door open for Paul to follow so they could talk about it more privately. Her cheeks were flushed from the kissing - and from the embarrassment which she felt.

She felt like she had let Paul down. Paul had put in so much effort for their night, and he had bought her such things to wear for it. Abby felt that he deserved something for the effort... but she couldn't go through with something that she didn't feel comfortable with.

Paul sat down on the settee in the living room and Abby stood by the fireplace, resting her head in her hand which was propped up by the mantelpiece.

She sighed, "I'm sorry, Paul... I-I know you want to, I just -"

"What're you sorry for, Abby?" He asked, getting up and going over to her. Paul put a hand on her shoulder, wrapping the same arm around her back and bringing her into an embrace. She laid her head on his shoulder. "I mean," he amended, "I know what you're sorry for, but you don't have to be. You shouldn't be. I didn't mean to push you, and I definitely didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable - I didn't, did I? I don't think I could stand it if I did."

She shook her head, "no, Paul," she replied, "but you put all this effort in and -"

"If I put all this effort in just for a lay then I'd be a pretty lousy guy, wouldn't I?" Paul asked. Abby nodded. "I put all this effort in because I lo-" he cut himself off, "I like you, Abby."

I love you, he thought.

Carrying on, Paul said: "and I'm here for you. Anything you want, I will give you. I'm not going anywhere. If you had wanted to go a little bit further tonight, then I would have happily obliged, but it's okay that you don't. I'm happy just to be near you and to hold you. If you want to just sit here and talk all night then we can do that, or if you want me to go then I can do that too. I'll still be here to take you to John's in the morning."

Abby was silent.

"Are you okay?" Paul asked her when she had been silent for five seconds. "Abs?"

Abby replied quietly, "I love you, Paul."

At first, Paul didn't know if he had heard her correctly. Had she said what he thought she had?

It was Abby's turn to be worried at the other's silence.

"Paul?" She asked in more of a squeak than a whisper.

He remained silent, his mind whirring.

She loved him.

"Say something, Paul." Abby said, sounding more desperate. "I-I shouldn't have said it, I know, but what you said just had me thinking -"

"No, Abby, I love you too." Paul interrupted, "I just didn't expect you to feel the same as I did -"

"Why?"

Paul navigated them both over to the settee, settling them down. She laid her head on his chest and he stroked her hair softly.

"Because you're always so busy and so worried about everything, I didn't even think that you would have had the chance to think about me... not like that, anyway."

Abby flushed again. "I think we do too much thinking, Paul."

Paul nodded in agreement, a wry smile on his face. "I think we do, too."

Abby said, "I do definitely want to do... that... with you, Paul, but I want to wait a little while first... and I don't want Mollie to know too much either."

"Of course not." Paul kissed the top of Abby's head, delighting in the fact that - for the moment, at least - she was his to hold. "I'll go along with whatever you want... I won't even tell the other lads if you don't want me to -"

"I can't ask you to keep a secret like that, Paul. They're your best friends and I'm sure you tell them everything."

He looked sheepish. "Well yeah we do, but -"

"You can tell them, then. I don't mind... but please make sure they know not to mention anything around my sister."

Paul nodded. "I will... I love you." Just saying the three words aloud sent a shockwave of joy and excitement through him.

"I love you." Abby returned.