01: WELCOME HOME

Heavy footsteps stomped urgently, leaving dents on the damp earth, which were only growing deeper by the second as the villagers ran for their lives. Time was dwindling; the invaders were starting to catch up after they burned the entire town, leaving little to no trace. A man looked at his wife's watery eyes, before planting a loving kiss on her lips, along with each of the three infants that the woman held closely. Suddenly, he ran towards the ominous men in horses, pleading for mercy.

For a moment, all the Madrigal woman could hear was the slash of a sword and the thud of her husband Pedro's body as he collapsed on the earth.

Alma's cry could be heard throughout the entire forest, even with the candle in front of her seemingly glowing brighter and brighter until it burst, light engulfing the darkness of the night and blowing away the invaders.

The villagers were in awe, and relief flooded their minds and hearts. Even still, tears of the now widowed mother dropped down the river, fusing with its streaming waters.

Slowly, a woman approached the weeping widow and her children. Not caring about the now drenched state of her dress, she kneeled down to meet the gaze of the mother, only to find cloudy hazel orbs, staring downcast as tears flowed endlessly. The woman embraced her huddled form in the water, paying no mind to their surroundings and granting a moment of silence.

"Oh Alma, I'm so sorry..." she said sincerely, hugging her huddled figure. The widowed Madrigal looked up as the corners of her mouth slightly drew upwards at her friend's consolation. Finally, her crying came to a stop, along with the tears of the three children she held.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

The aged woman relived the memory as the horse she rode on continued to gallop through. She pondered deeply while hugging the form of a much smaller child, which was none other than you. Speaking of, your head turns behind to face her, who had seemed to be lost in thought.

"What are you thinking about, abuela?" You ask in curiosity as her weathered face brightens, patting your head.

"I was just thinking of a memory, mi querido. Don't worry, we're almost there. I know you're excited to meet the Madrigals."

It's true, you were very much excited. After hearing the stories your abuela would tell, you became absolutely enthralled with the family that was blessed with a miracle. Your grandmother had promised to take you to meet them someday, and now was the most appropriate time.

In truth, she felt herself weakening and needed to have someone she can trust to take care of you when she's gone. Your mother had passed while giving birth to you, and your father had ran when you were an infant, leaving only your abuela to look out for you. The old woman loved you dearly, and felt disheartened at the loss you had experienced at such a young age. Despite everything, you were always so happy and carefree, but you were four, so it was only natural, yet she had a feeling that you were going to carry that sunny nature throughout your life.

Ah, your life. The elder woman wished that she could watch you grow, see who you would evolve into. She was saddened that you were going to experience that loss all over again, which is why she'll cherish all the time she has with you.

Noticing the glum expression on your grandmother's face, you ask, "What's wrong, abuela? I don't like seeing you so sad."

"It's nothing mi querido, just..." She trailed off. Glancing at the distance, she noticed the forest getting craggier as you two neared your destination.

"The Madrigals will take care of you well, I'm sure of it. Such a lovely dear you are. But still, don't give them too much trouble, okay?"

"No problema, abuela! I'll be on my best behavior!" You saluted. The old woman chuckled at your silly and bubbly nature. It was difficult to keep up with sometimes, perhaps that was her age catching up to her. She knows you will make everyone at the Encanto fall head over heels for you.